Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaky Shaft Seal - Hayward Super Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaky Shaft Seal - Hayward Super Pump

Hi All,

I'm having an issue with a leaky shaft seal. I've replaced the seal 3 times already. First time lasted a few weeks, second and third time less than a day before it started a slow drip again.

Any thoughts on what else could be wrong? Possibly the seal plate? I couldn't see anything visibly wrong with it when I checked it. Maybe I'm missing something.
    22,700 gallon, 18x36 Vinyl IG - Hayward EC65 Perflex DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaky Shaft Seal - Hayward Super Pump

Check the o-ring. Someone else had the same problem a couple months ago. Brand new seal, still didn't go away. Turned out an o-ring wasn't seated properly.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Smykowski,

I'm not sure which o-ring you're referring to. The housing gasket?

The last time I had it apart I could definitely see it was leaking behind the shaft seal.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think in his case, it was the o-ring between the pump housing and the pump cover (depending on the pump it might be called the diffuser). If it's a slow enough leak, the water will work it's way down to the bottom, dripping like it's a shaft seal. However, if you can see the water up high and know it's coming from the seal, that might not be your problem - just a suggestion from someone else's solution.

What kind of pump is it?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Hayward Super Pump.

Yeah, when I took it apart I could see the water line where it was dripping behind the seal plate.