Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noisy pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Noisy pump

Hi
    I have a Poolrite SQ 600 pump that has all of a sudden making a louder noise than normal. I cleaned the whole system and it is working normally suction wise but it is still noisy. After reading some topics here it sounds like it could be the bearing.

Is this a job I would be able to do myself? Don't really want to take to the Pool Shop as they could tell me anything.

Thanks
    19,000 gallons
    Zodiac Tri Series SWG
    Hayward S310T Sand Filter
    Poolrite SQI 600 pump.
    IG Concrete, quartzon surface
    Built 1997

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noisy pump

As long as you're comfortable taking stuff apart and putting it back together, yes, bearings are a DIY job. If you google "pump bearing replacement" you should be able to find plenty of You Tube videos. Even if you don't find one for your specific pump, anything similar should do it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Take Smykowski's advice and spend some time learning how to replace bearings. You'll save $$ in the long run. Not to mention the other things that can leak or go wrong with a pump. Its a shame to spend hundreds having a pump repaired for parts that cost less than $10.
    16x32 Concrete IG
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a go at doing it myself
    Cheers
    19,000 gallons
    Zodiac Tri Series SWG
    Hayward S310T Sand Filter
    Poolrite SQI 600 pump.
    IG Concrete, quartzon surface
    Built 1997