Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And Away We Go! New build Austin TX UPDATED 10/31 FINISHED!

1. Back To Top    #1

And Away We Go! New build Austin TX UPDATED 10/31 FINISHED!

It has been a long journey of interviewing pool builders, learning, and more learning. We started the process in April and interviewed 7 PBs. In the process, I think we really figured out what we wanted and are really excited and looking forward to the final product!

Here are specs and (lots of) pics.

34x17 Freeform IGP w/ 18" raised spa and spillover, 7 foot max depth
    18" staggered to 12" Raised Bond Beam with (2) 24" Sheers
    2 bubblers on Tanning Ledge
    Quartz Plaster (Color and brand TBD, but probably CLI or Quartzscape in a Caribbean color)
    -Adding Abalone
    Leuders Stone Coping
    Travertine Paver Pool Deck with Leuders Stone trim

Hayward pump and automation (still debating between 2 speed TriStar and VS EcoStar as well as ECommand 4 and Aqua Logic)
    Hayward 400k Heater
    Hayward filter (still undecided between DE and cartridge)
    Inline Chlorinator (probably retrofit w/ Stenner eventually)
    Booster Pump for sheers and bubblers

Overall my PB is moving REALLY quickly (although permits took over a month which felt like forever). But now that we are in the construction pipe, it's zooming.

Monday at noon - sprayed the pool design
    Monday at 4 pm - excavator showed up and started digging
    Tuesday - completed the Dig!
    Wednesday morning - Rebar delivered
    Wednesday at 4 pm - Rebar crew showed up - about 75% complete by 7:30pm!

Here's the design:

Day One:

I'm really surprised we didn't hit rock yet! Central Texas is known for being a solid bed of Limestone...

Day Two - Started the day with the jackhammer. I knew there'd be rock down there!

Day Two is done and so is the digging! Amazing!

Explorer Kitty - aka Sophie

Day Three (today) - Rebar delivered and install started. They were about 75% done when they left for the day.

34x17 Freeform Gunite IGP and spa (approx 17k gal)
    Hayward 2HP/2SP TriStar Filter Pump & Tristar Booster
    ProLogic PS-8 and AquaPod
    400k Heater
    CLI Sunstone Quartz Plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: And Away We Go! -- New build Austin, TX -- Pics

Nice pool. I'm surprised they got as far as they did before hitting rock. Solid rock was 6"-8" below the surface on my build.
    *Under Construction* 21K gallon IG Pool/Spa 3'-7', Wet Edge Pebble Prism Matrix
    -Equipment: Jandy 460sqft Cartridge Filter; Aqua pure 1400 SWG; Jandy 2HP VS E-pump; 3/4HP Booster Pump; Polaris 3900; Air Blower; Jandy PDA4; Raypak 406 Heater; Auto Fill; 2 Hayward LEDs in pool; 1 Hayward LED in Spa; 2 Skimmers; 3 Returns to pool; 6 jets in Spa ***TF100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir***

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like a nice design.

Quote Originally Posted by zach5150
    ...(although permits took over a month which felt like forever).
    Not at all surprising, unfortunately. Also wouldn't surprise me if the pool build is done in less time than it took to get your permit.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

I like the design...can't wait to see more progress!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cgd
    Nice pool. I'm surprised they got as far as they did before hitting rock. Solid rock was 6"-8" below the surface on my build.
    We were surprised too...I completely expected rock to be a lot shallower than it was.
    400k Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by markadamarnold
    I like the design...can't wait to see more progress!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville
    Look forward to seeing the finished product.
    Thank y'all! We are really excited. Plumber is coming today! Moving right along!
    400k Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

The rebar is finished and plumbing started today. If all goes well w/ plumbing and inspection, gunite will be next week! If anybody notices anything that doesn't look right or that I should ask about - please let me know!

I still can't believe today was Thursday and the shovel hit the ground this past Monday!

400k Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

If anybody notices anything that doesn't look right or that I should ask about - please let me know!
    So far, everything appears to be going well. The only pipes I see going under the pool are for the main drain (as it should be). Just make sure no other plumbing is installed below the pool shell unless there is an absolute need for it. Nice pics of the plumbing. Years from now, after the pipes have been buried, you will have some idea of where they are located.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

Zach - Congrats on getting it started! It looks like a very good start. You know how to get in touch with me, so ping me if you have any questions.
    +/-16k gallon IG pebblesheen pool with SWG, spa and waterfall, Hayward 2HP 2-speed Tri-star, Hayward 1.5HP Tri-star, Hayward 5030 Cartridge filter, Hayward H400 Heater, Sharkvac Robotic Cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

Looking good! Keep us posted!
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

11. Back To Top    #11

Today they finished the plumbing and set the lights. It looks like I've got 4 returns and thought I was only going to get 3, so thats a nice surprise! I ended up with a question that I'll post in a separate thread about plumbing and paver patios.

Here's a link to that thread.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/plumb...io-t68666.html
    400k Heater

12. Back To Top    #12

Zach- I'm especially excited to see the progress since I'm in Austin too. We're you able to negotiate with your builder much? That part makes me nervous. The bids we got were so different but we know that there's a difference in quality too.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by shmatbert
    Zach- I'm especially excited to see the progress since I'm in Austin too. We're you able to negotiate with your builder much? That part makes me nervous. The bids we got were so different but we know that there's a difference in quality too.
    Let me know if you have any questions. I know tons of folks helped me through the stage you are in now, so I guess now its my turn! The PB we ended up going with told me up front 'I'll beat everyones price, I dont negotiate, I'm low pressure' - and he definitely was true to his word. Though he doesn't negotiate, I will say he doesn't nickel and dime you either like many other PBs will. I've found lots of PB's will charge a few hundred bucks for simple plumbing things like bubblers and thats where our guy is ultra reasonable. They all have pros and cons. We interviewed 7 PB's before we made our choice. Some will negotiate but it's like buying a car - you have to show you are interested and a capable buyer, but are willing to walk away if you dont come to terms. Usually, that'll prompt some negotiation. Also, as things slow down for them in the fall and consequently things slow down for the subcontractors, they'll be looking for work which should be better pricing.
    400k Heater

14. Back To Top    #14

I love the shape of this pool...it's going to be great! What does the Leuders stone look like that you are using? I love the look of the paver deck too...

15. Back To Top    #15

I love the shape of this pool...it's going to be great! What does the Leuders stone look like that you are using? I love the look of the paver deck too...
    Thank you! I can't believe we are shooting gunite on Friday! I'll try to get a pic of the leuder tonight and post.
    400k Heater

16. Back To Top    #16

Thank you! I can't believe we are shooting gunite on Friday! I'll try to get a pic of the leuder tonight and post.

I'm really sorry I didn't get this posted until now. Things have been crazy, but hopefully this will help you. Apparently there is a bit of a shortage of this type of leuder right now, but anyway, here are a few pics - dry and wet next to a travertine paver (color of travertine is aski kalle).

400k Heater

17. Back To Top    #17

Well we were going to shoot gunite last Friday, but equipment problems w/ the gunite sub shut that down. However, they showed up bright and early this morning and we now have a pool shell!

400k Heater

18. Back To Top    #18

Did your pool builder have a rock clause in the contract? - meaning an hourly charge in excess of existing charges for excavating the rock?
    28000 gallon IG pool, 3.5ft - 8ft deep, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Interior, Pentair Intellichlor SWG, Pentair Quad DE 100 filter, Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS, Whisperflo 3hp (water features), A&A Max in floor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch 8 Automation, Screenlogic II, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, Pentair Intellichem with acid injection via stennar pump, 9'x7' spa with Infiniti edge

19. Back To Top    #19

Looking good so far!
    Are they shooting the raised beam on the back wall separately?
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by cbink
    Looking good so far!
    Are they shooting the raised beam on the back wall separately?
    Thanks! Regarding the RBB, it was originally going to be shot w/ gunite so that we could finish it w/ a veneer stone, but we've since decided we will likely do chopped block/standard masonry type of wall. It's kind of up in the air right now honestly.
    400k Heater

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast