N.B. Using 3 step bromine system. 370 gal tub. Testing with K-2106 test kit.
First question, for those that use MPS to shock/oxydize your tub, how much are you using and how often and how long before it is safe to go in the tub? The instructions on my container say 125g/fresh fill per 1000L. 30g per day. It has always taken a couple days before bromine levels are in safe range.
That being said, I have decided to try shocking my bromine tub with bleach instead of MPS, since there are a lot of clear instructions on this forum. I am following waterbear's procedure and using the pool calc.
I balanced the water - TA 80, PH 7.2, CH 170 and then added the liquid sodium bromide and then shocked with 150ml 10% bleach. The next day, the pH was through the roof - 8+ and burned and dried my skin, when I dunked my hand in to test, which I know it is because the pH is high but the water never felt that way after I shocked with MPS. I've gotten the pH down to 7.6 and the TA to 70 but based on what I've read in similar posts, I'm going to try to lower it to 50 (50 has always been my water's sweet spot) and get the pH down to 7.0 and aerate. At 7.6, I still feel the water leaves a dry feeling (it used to feel silky) but it's not burning any more. If I get the pH and TA down more, do you think the water will feel less drying to the skin? I really hate the feeling.
Once I get the pH and TA where I want it, should I add boric acid to help lock in the pH? Can you use it with a bromine system?
Anyone notice a difference with bleach shock when testing the bromine using the Taylor kit? With MPS, the water goes from pink to completely clear, but with the bleach, the water goes from pink to light light orange. I tried adding tons more drops to see if it would go clear but it never does.