AGP Catastrophic Failure - Pics

Bought this pool in May 2011. 32' x 52" Have had crystal clear water for the two years thanks to the info from this site and the pool calculator. My wife went out to put bleach in yesterday and this is what she found. I'm just thankful it happened when no one was in it or near it. Looks like there was corrosion on the inside of the skimmer pannel behind the liner. The pannel split in half on the right side of the skimmer between the skimmer and the return. Washed pump, sand filter, concrete pads and grass down into the woodline.

Not much chance since the pool builder we bought it from never delivered any info or warranty info on the pool, there were other issues as well that resulted in a law suit. that we won.....but have yet to collect a dime. He's out of buisness now since our case was the first of 9 against him for fraud and breach of contract.

Live and learn I guess. We will have another pool, but the next one will be an in-ground. My kids were just in that pool two nights ago, this could have had a much more horrible ending.

stack_climber said:
Washed pump, sand filter, concrete pads and grass down into the woodline.
This is why it amazes me that people don't take the time to level their pools. I understand this wasn't a level problem, but I mean the force that is in a pool to wash away concrete pads and a sand filter is a lot of potential energy. Potential energy that some people think isn't worth the effort to properly contain.

I am glad the damage was limited to the pool. No life, no other property. Not a happy occurrence, but better than it could have been.

So sorry you lost your pool. Wow! These pictures put perspective to how dangerous a pool collapse can be no matter what the reason was. It needs posted with every thread where people ask if their unlevel pool is safe.

linda1 said:
So sorry you lost your pool. Wow! These pictures put perspective to how dangerous a pool collapse can be no matter what the reason was. It needs posted with every thread where people ask if their unlevel pool is safe.
Was this pool unlevel? It is scary that a pool that is only two years old could collapse. Possibly people could ask is any pool safe.

Pool was perfectly level. I know what happened to ours may be rare but it has me concerned enough that i'll never own another AGP again. If you look in the pic you can see rust on a couple of the other panels. There was never a noticeable leak or corrosion on the outside of the panels. I kept my chlorine level at around 5-7ppm, stabilizer around 40-50, and my ph around 7-8ppm. Had someone been standing at the filter when it went, I cringe to think what the outcome would have been. Even kids in the pool would have been seriously injured if not worse. Roughly 21,000 gallons of water or roughly 160,000 lbs of rolling force when it broke loose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.