Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP Liner life span in desert sun

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP Liner life span in desert sun

Does any one have an idea of how long an above ground pool liner will last in the desert sun, we live in Las Vegas. We are looking at getting an above ground pool for next year, but are not sure how the liner will do in the desert sun and heat. Thanks for you help.
    Thanks Danea

Pool is 20K, sand, IG, vinyl, fiberglass, polaris 360 cleaner. I live in New Jersey.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP Liner life span in desert sun

It should last for many years as long as you don't chemically abuse it. They have UV stabilizers in them so they stand up to the sun pretty well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I am in southeastern AZ at 4500 feet so a little less harsh environment than you, but my liner on a lower end Sears pool lasted fine 8 to 10 years. Started to see some sun damage at the waterline and the west side of the overhang on the outside - got brown, hard and crunchy. patched when it started leaking and got a few more years out of it. somebody could probably make a little money by inventing a way to repair/replace/protect that top 10 inches to a foot of liner so you don't have to drain and replace the whole thing. But even then it is only a few hundred if the rest of the structure is OK. In my case water is a big issue so I don't like dumping it for any frivolous reasons.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for your responses.
    Thanks Danea

Pool is 20K, sand, IG, vinyl, fiberglass, polaris 360 cleaner. I live in New Jersey.