Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wood Burning Grill

1. Back To Top    #1

Wood Burning Grill

Hi All,

What a sweet site. I started work on an outdoor kitchen following tips and research and mainly photos in Google images :P. You can check out my progress so far here:
    http://slapyomamma.blogspot.com/2013...-of-frame.html

I am having a custom 48" x 30" x 14" Argentine style unit built. Pretty much the one found here:
    http://www.oldpioneerbbqs.com/666_50...g?u=2667800655
    So, it has a box.

My current plan is two line the interior of the grill box with heavy duty fire brick and line the (exterior) drop in with 0.5 inch cement board. Do you think this is enough protection from the heat?

The other thing I could do is to line a drop in with fire brick as well, but then its starting to get heavy. I plan on placing steel studs every 12 inches around the supporting track.

The final thing I could do is to scrap the steel studs and go to full masonry for that. I only want to do this as a last resort. Didn't really want to get into masonry on this project...

Will steel studs hold up to the heat and weight of the grill + firebrick?

Thanks!
    Chris S.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wood Burning Grill

Not an expert on that type of grill but I would be leery of an enclosure other than masonry for one of those. Steel studs should be plenty strong at 12" centers, they will bear a lot of weight, but I don't know about the heat issue. If you notice pics of these online, it seems the vast majority are either on carts or otherwise free-standing metal. Drop-ins are typically in a full masonry enclosure.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

3. Back To Top    #3

I spoke with Dennis at Old Pioneer. He has a lot of experience with these grills and said there shouldn't be a problem laying this in a steel stud drop in. I am going to put a layer of cement board in between the grill and the studs, so there will be an inch of cement between that and the stucco, plus all the air. I have it setup in such a way that I can pretty easily remove the grill and redo that part of the island.

4. Back To Top    #4

I looked at his site and that was probably a good call getting his input on it. Is he making your grill? Looks like he makes top quality stuff.
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, Dennis is making my grill. 4'*2.5' with a box and 100lb rotisserie. I could conceivably line the box with firebrick as well, but that adds weight. Should have it after labor day, pictures soon...