Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fine debris/dirt in returns on switching pump to Hi-Speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Fine debris/dirt in returns on switching pump to Hi-Speed

So every time I toggle my two-speed pump from low to high. I get a 20 second dark stream of fine debris from all the pool returns.

After backwashing the filter the stream is less dark but still there. I strangely do not seem to get this problem when the pump is switched on with the high speed toggled.

My Hayward Sandfilter is pretty old, is it possible that the sand needs to be repacked or replaced? or could there be some other problem.

In general, I do feel like my pool needs to be vacuumed more often and while I have no leak, I seem to be slowly losing cyanuric acid levels

thanks
    Inground Concrete/Plaster Diving Pool, 17X30 ft, 20k gallons, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 5 returns,
    1 HP (SF 1.25) STARITE SINGLE SPEED, 2-Speed, 1 HP Pentair Superflo (not yet installed!) Hayward Sandfilter 3.14 ft.ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fine debris/dirt in returns on switching pump to Hi-Spee

When is the last time you inspected/cleaned the sand? Could be partially channeled allow dirt to pass through on high speed.

my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html#p60821
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your reply and the link, Jason.

I moved in here 3 months ago. No idea when it was last done. How often, typically, does this need to be done.
    Inground Concrete/Plaster Diving Pool, 17X30 ft, 20k gallons, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 5 returns,
    1 HP (SF 1.25) STARITE SINGLE SPEED, 2-Speed, 1 HP Pentair Superflo (not yet installed!) Hayward Sandfilter 3.14 ft.ft

4. Back To Top    #4

Inspecting/cleaning the sand should be a yearly thing.

And you should be backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Jason. I was wondering at what point would I change the sand in the filter instead of just washing it. I cannot imagine what could happen to the sand to need it being changed. Does it get eroded away and become too fine?

6. Back To Top    #6

The sand should never need replaced (well, except for very rare events).
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow! thats good to know. There are no youtube videos on how to clean. But many on "how to replace". But I could never find a compelling logical explanation on why sand would need to be replaced. Cleaning it is. For anyone else reading this. I found these videos very helpful to understand my sand filter
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_J5KgIqhD4

8. Back To Top    #8

I sent you a link previously about the method to clean ... very simple.
    Jason, TFP Moderator