Does NPG/ISO (Neopentyl Glycol/Isophathalic)Gel Coat Calcium

Jul 17, 2013
After doing some research, I finally figured out that my fiberglass pool is the Pacific model by San Juan Pools. According to their website, the gel coat is NPG/ISO (Neopentyl Glycol Isophathalic), also called ISO/NPG from CCP Composites. A search for Neopentyl Glycol shows the chemical structure as C5H12O2, so it would seem that it's Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen and I don't see anything about Calcium, but then again, what do I know about chemistry! :)

My question is, is this the type of gel coat with calcium in it where I need to keep the CH up to around 220? Or is this the type where I don't need to worry about it and I could use much lower levels (such as when filling with soft water)?

Re: Does NPG/ISO (Neopentyl Glycol/Isophathalic)Gel Coat Cal

There's no calcium in that, but calcium carbonate is used as a "filler" for consistency and other purposes and is not the primary component of either gelcoat on fiberglass nor vinyl liners. If the gelcoat is the chemical you describe and doesn't have any calcium carbonate as an additional minor chemical additive, then there won't be any need for you to add any calcium to your water.

This link gives more info about ISO/NPG Gel Coats for the Swimming Pool Industry. This MSDS gives further info that indicates the following ingredients:

COBALT NEODECANOATE 0.0230%
COBALT 2-ETHYLHEXANOATE 0.1400%
METHYL METHACRYLATE 4.9960%
STYRENE MONOMER 26.1480%
TITANIUM DIOXIDE 17.4660%
TALC (HYDROUS MAGNESIUM SILICATE) 1-5%
SILICA, AMORPHOUS 1-5%
UNSATURATED POLYESTER RESIN 30-40%

So it looks like there is no calcium carbonate being used. The ISO/NPG part of this is the "unsaturated polyester resin" which is a polymer formed from combining Isophthalic acid (ISO) with Neopentyl glycol (NPG).

chem geek continually stuns me with his research and application of it.
I suggest we find out where he lives, drink all his beer, smoke all his cigarettes and throw all the empties in the grass right next to his (no doubt) absolutely pristine pool. :party: :party:

(The first sentence is completely sincere....the second one just fleetingly crossed my mind. :mrgreen: )

chem geek said:
There's no calcium in that, but calcium carbonate is used as a "filler" for consistency and other purposes and is not the primary component of either gelcoat on fiberglass nor vinyl liners. If the gelcoat is the chemical you describe and doesn't have any calcium carbonate as an additional minor chemical additive, then there won't be any need for you to add any calcium to your water.

This link gives more info about ISO/NPG Gel Coats for the Swimming Pool Industry. This MSDS gives further info that indicates the following ingredients:

COBALT NEODECANOATE 0.0230%
COBALT 2-ETHYLHEXANOATE 0.1400%
METHYL METHACRYLATE 4.9960%
STYRENE MONOMER 26.1480%
TITANIUM DIOXIDE 17.4660%
TALC (HYDROUS MAGNESIUM SILICATE) 1-5%
SILICA, AMORPHOUS 1-5%
UNSATURATED POLYESTER RESIN 30-40%

So it looks like there is no calcium carbonate being used. The ISO/NPG part of this is the "unsaturated polyester resin" which is a polymer formed from combining Isophthalic acid (ISO) with Neopentyl glycol (NPG).

Many, many thanks! :-D I will double check with San Juan to see if they concur, but given that the body is Vinyl Ester resin as per this info, and the gel coat is ISO/PPG, it doesn't appear that there's any calcium carbonate used in the mfg of their pools,

San Juan Pools manufactures the highest quality / strongest fiberglass pool shell in the industry. http://www.sanjuanpools.com/moreinfo/Fi ... ction.aspx

Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.