Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Making the switch! My first results

1. Back To Top    #1

Making the switch! My first results

OK, I've been stumbling along wasting money at the big name pool stores for the last 2 years and learned here that there's a much better way to to do this! I've been using pretty much only pucks loaded in the floater and have realized I've been doing this wrong (evident by my high cya!). Here are my first test results with the K-2006.

PH 7.2
    FC .5
    CC .5
    TA 110
    TH 550
    CYA 100+

I've brought the chlorine up to 3.0 with liquid. By checking the CYA with strips, it's likely my CYA is 150-200 and I realize the solution is to drain. Our kids use the pool daily. Must I drain now or does it matter if I wait a few months when the temperatures and usage drops?

Thanks for all of your help!
    15k, inground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Making the switch! My first results

Wellllllllllll............you're most likely to develop an algae bloom/problems while the heat is "hot" and the sun is burning off an already too low a level of FC for your cya level. You can do a third drain at a time to help. Welcome! Get your FC up!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

The Strips are worthless. If you want a better idea of the CYA level. Start with a 50/50 mix of pool and tap water, then add the reagent and test, doubling the reading.

Draining is the only real solution. If you do not want to drain, you need to keep the FC much much higher. For example if the CYA was 100, the minimum safe FC level is 7ppm. If it is up around 200ppm, then you need to maintain a FC level of 14ppm. See the chart in Pool School: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

BTW, once the FC > 10ppm, the pH test is not longer valid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the great info. I think it makes sense to drain now vs maintaining that level of chlorine needed.
    15k, inground