New Pool with SWG - Test Result Questions

Jul 6, 2013
So I've got my 26,000 gallon liner pool full of water and have the pump running. I dumped in saltI didn't get a test kit yet (just ordered it) so I took a sample to the local "L" pool store and good the following results:

FC: 0
pH: 8.0
TA: 100
CYA: 0
Calcium Hardness: 100
Salt: 3,200 ppm

So needless to say, the clerk sent me out the door with some chemicals. I was sold powder plus to get some chlorine in the pool, and I was also told to add 3 lbs. of dry acid to lower the pH and 30 lbs. of hardness plus to raise the calcium hardness. I added the powder plus (about 8 ounces) but held off on everything else until I checked here. After reviewing info on this site last night, I picked up some muriatic acid to use to lower the pH ($7,50 for a gallon vs. $26 for 10lbs. of dry acid from the pool store) but based on the SW guidelines, it looks like my hardness is fine (greater than 50) so I can skip the calcium chloride (or worse yet the 30 lbs. of hardness plus they sold me for $56!). Is this correct? I have a Pentair SWG so I will add a little more salt once I bring the water level up the remaining 2 inches to get it to 3,400 ppm and I definitely need to get the CYA up but other than that I think I'm set for now. Looks like they told me I needed $75 more in stuff for the pool than I really did.

Good call on the pH. You want that adjusted first.

Take the Hardness stuff back. You don't need any in a vinyl liner pool. I have zero CH and nary a hitch because of it.

You want enough CYA to get to about 70 ppm eventually, but I'd start with enough to get to about 30 ppm.

diyindux said:
So I've got my 26,000 gallon liner pool full of water and have the pump running. I dumped in saltI didn't get a test kit yet (just ordered it) so I took a sample to the local "L" pool store and good the following results:

FC: 0
pH: 8.0
TA: 100
CYA: 0
Calcium Hardness: 100
Salt: 3,200 ppm

So needless to say, the clerk sent me out the door with some chemicals. I was sold powder plus to get some chlorine in the pool, and I was also told to add 3 lbs. of dry acid to lower the pH and 30 lbs. of hardness plus to raise the calcium hardness. I added the powder plus (about 8 ounces) but held off on everything else until I checked here. After reviewing info on this site last night, I picked up some muriatic acid to use to lower the pH ($7,50 for a gallon vs. $26 for 10lbs. of dry acid from the pool store) but based on the SW guidelines, it looks like my hardness is fine (greater than 50) so I can skip the calcium chloride (or worse yet the 30 lbs. of hardness plus they sold me for $56!). Is this correct? I have a Pentair SWG so I will add a little more salt once I bring the water level up the remaining 2 inches to get it to 3,400 ppm and I definitely need to get the CYA up but other than that I think I'm set for now. Looks like they told me I needed $75 more in stuff for the pool than I really did.

I'm not a real expert but I'd say you are on the right track for everything I have read on here in the last month.

Thanks for the feedback. This site is amazing. I just built my first pool (I've never owned one before so I decided a DIY inground was the best first step) and yet because of this site I'm already the guy pool owners are asking advice from regarding pool care. I just send them here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.