Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool with SWG - Test Result Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool with SWG - Test Result Questions

So I've got my 26,000 gallon liner pool full of water and have the pump running. I dumped in saltI didn't get a test kit yet (just ordered it) so I took a sample to the local "L" pool store and good the following results:

FC: 0
    pH: 8.0
    TA: 100
    CYA: 0
    Calcium Hardness: 100
    Salt: 3,200 ppm

So needless to say, the clerk sent me out the door with some chemicals. I was sold powder plus to get some chlorine in the pool, and I was also told to add 3 lbs. of dry acid to lower the pH and 30 lbs. of hardness plus to raise the calcium hardness. I added the powder plus (about 8 ounces) but held off on everything else until I checked here. After reviewing info on this site last night, I picked up some muriatic acid to use to lower the pH ($7,50 for a gallon vs. $26 for 10lbs. of dry acid from the pool store) but based on the SW guidelines, it looks like my hardness is fine (greater than 50) so I can skip the calcium chloride (or worse yet the 30 lbs. of hardness plus they sold me for $56!). Is this correct? I have a Pentair SWG so I will add a little more salt once I bring the water level up the remaining 2 inches to get it to 3,400 ppm and I definitely need to get the CYA up but other than that I think I'm set for now. Looks like they told me I needed $75 more in stuff for the pool than I really did.
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool with SWG - Test Result Questions

Good call on the pH. You want that adjusted first.

Take the Hardness stuff back. You don't need any in a vinyl liner pool. I have zero CH and nary a hitch because of it.

You want enough CYA to get to about 70 ppm eventually, but I'd start with enough to get to about 30 ppm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by diyindux
    So I've got my 26,000 gallon liner pool full of water and have the pump running. I dumped in saltI didn't get a test kit yet (just ordered it) so I took a sample to the local "L" pool store and good the following results:

FC: 0
    pH: 8.0
    TA: 100
    CYA: 0
    Calcium Hardness: 100
    Salt: 3,200 ppm

So needless to say, the clerk sent me out the door with some chemicals. I was sold powder plus to get some chlorine in the pool, and I was also told to add 3 lbs. of dry acid to lower the pH and 30 lbs. of hardness plus to raise the calcium hardness. I added the powder plus (about 8 ounces) but held off on everything else until I checked here. After reviewing info on this site last night, I picked up some muriatic acid to use to lower the pH ($7,50 for a gallon vs. $26 for 10lbs. of dry acid from the pool store) but based on the SW guidelines, it looks like my hardness is fine (greater than 50) so I can skip the calcium chloride (or worse yet the 30 lbs. of hardness plus they sold me for $56!). Is this correct? I have a Pentair SWG so I will add a little more salt once I bring the water level up the remaining 2 inches to get it to 3,400 ppm and I definitely need to get the CYA up but other than that I think I'm set for now. Looks like they told me I needed $75 more in stuff for the pool than I really did.
    I'm not a real expert but I'd say you are on the right track for everything I have read on here in the last month.
    16,500 gallon, 18" x 38" Grecian; IG Vinyl, Hayward DE

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the feedback. This site is amazing. I just built my first pool (I've never owned one before so I decided a DIY inground was the best first step) and yet because of this site I'm already the guy pool owners are asking advice from regarding pool care. I just send them here.
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller