Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP!! pool return/sprayer actuator not working

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP!! pool return/sprayer actuator not working

As my pumps started up this morning I noticed the spa overflow downpour was really heavy. It looked nice but not normal so I went investigating. As far as I can tell, the automated actuator that stops the flow of water from the spa returns to the pool returns is not working. My daughter used the spa last night so everything is stuck open in spa mode. Right now I have the pump and cleaner on so there is alittle bit of water circulation but I see lots of green in my future if I don't get this fixed ASAP.

So my question is... how hard is it to take off the actuator and can I just unscrew the thing and try to rotate the valve so I at least have the pool working right until I can get it replaced? Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated. The toggle switch is doing nothing.

The pool is only 2 1/2 yrs old. Is it typical for these things to only last that long (Jandy) or could it be under warranty? I am downloading pics and will post in a minute...
    36x16 gunite, 14,500 gallons, Jandy 2.0hp VS Epump, Jandy CL460 filter, Automatic chlorinator, Jandy Legacy 400K BTU Heater, Polaris 1.5HP spa blower, 2 Colorlogic pools lights and 1 Colorlogic spa light, Polaris 3/4HP booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy PS4 with PDA, QuartzScapes Montego Bay plaster, OK flagstone coping, spray deck (aggregate effect) - completed 3/2011

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP!! pool return/sprayer actuator not working

36x16 gunite, 14,500 gallons, Jandy 2.0hp VS Epump, Jandy CL460 filter, Automatic chlorinator, Jandy Legacy 400K BTU Heater, Polaris 1.5HP spa blower, 2 Colorlogic pools lights and 1 Colorlogic spa light, Polaris 3/4HP booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy PS4 with PDA, QuartzScapes Montego Bay plaster, OK flagstone coping, spray deck (aggregate effect) - completed 3/2011

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

There should be a little switch on the bottom or back of the actuator. It has 3 positions. The middle position is neutral (actuator doesn't move). Make sure it's in the correct position. If the actuator won't move no matter where the switch is, then it's probably bad.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

First try flipping to the switch on the actuator temporarily to see if it moves. If it does not, then there is either no power reaching the actuator or the actuator has gone bad. You should check to make sure the wiring is all intact.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The toggle switch did nothing so I am almost sure the motor is bad. I took the actuator off and got the value open the right way so now I have full circulation. Looks like I can get one on Amazon for less than $90 and the parts warranty was only for a year so no luck there.