Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 25-30 teens coming! How to prepare????

1. Back To Top    #1

25-30 teens coming! How to prepare????

Okay. I'm still new to this pool stuff. I'm using BBB and have been keeping the FC around 5-6ppm. My son is having 25-30 friends over Friday night for a cookout and swim party. Do I need to do anything special before having that many people in the pool? I keep a solar cover on other than when I am in it. I don't seem to use much bleach currently. The pool hasn't been getting much use other than by me. In fact this will be the first time my son has even been in the pool. I think the fact that girls will be here too is the only reason he'll be getting in it.

Just want to make sure that everyone is safe. Any recommendations before and after this party?
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 25-30 teens coming! How to prepare????

Raise the FC up. It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA, but you likely do not need that much. Maybe 10ppm. Then check it after everyone leaves and maybe bump it a little again.

And try to stop the girls from creating an oil slick with tanning oils
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd raise the FC to the top of the recommended range for your CYA right before the party and again right after. You also want to make sure the pH is in the low 7's. a lot of splashing is going to raise it a little.

If you'll post a full set of test results we may see something else, but without test results that's all I have to offer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Run the filter 24/7 hours too if the water looks dull at all.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA
    And try to stop the girls from creating an oil slick with tanning oils
    Personally I would take (shock level)-1 and target that, I'm assuming you're talking about an afternoon + evening party.

LOL on preventing oil slicks, a friend of ours made an oil slick, it was at 5:30PM! Not only did he feel the need to wear it (sunblock), but he doesn't know when to quit applying. First time I had ever seen someone make a trail.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

6. Back To Top    #6

I conquer with all the replies. Good job on planning for the extra FC demand. I can attest to the water quality effects of not preparing
    We had about 40 teens swimming at the after-party.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Personally I would take (shock level)-1 and target that, I'm assuming you're talking about an afternoon + evening party.
    This is what I would do.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

It is actually mostly evening. Not starting until 6:00 so won't have much sun. Thanks for all the input. I'll start working on that today.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,

9. Back To Top    #9

I would test the pool, adjust your FC at about 4:00 and then adjust your "beverages" at about 5:00.

Enjoy!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

With that many teens I would be more worried about stabilizing myself with an adult beverage. Woooo Saaaaa
    *Under Construction* 21K gallon IG Pool/Spa 3'-7', Wet Edge Pebble Prism Matrix
    -Equipment: Jandy 460sqft Cartridge Filter; Aqua pure 1400 SWG; Jandy 2HP VS E-pump; 3/4HP Booster Pump; Polaris 3900; Air Blower; Jandy PDA4; Raypak 406 Heater; Auto Fill; 2 Hayward LEDs in pool; 1 Hayward LED in Spa; 2 Skimmers; 3 Returns to pool; 6 jets in Spa ***TF100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir***

11. Back To Top    #11

How to prepare for party with a bunch of teens? Here in Houston we hide the booze.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

No booze in the house ever. lol So that isn't a problem. Maybe that many teens will be enough to make us start????

Just took my readings.
    FC 4 Going to add 121 oz bottle of 8.25% bleach yet today.
    CC 0
    PH 7.6 Thinking I will see what it is when they leave then add muriatic acid the next morning if need be.
    TA 250
    CYA 50

It will be interesting to see what the readings are the next morning.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by brmommy
    No booze in the house ever. lol So that isn't a problem. Maybe that many teens will be enough to make us start????
    Then I guess you need a big pitcher of iced tea! If you are going to adjust your pH, if you did it before the party it will make your CL a little more effective.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

30 people in 17,600 gallons would use about 1.8 ppm FC per hour. So unless you anticipate them urinating, I don't think you need to go so extreme as to near shock level. If you went to around 15% of your CYA level so if that's 50 ppm then 7.5 ppm, then that should handle 2 hours of 30 people in the pool. If you think they will be in longer or will be abusing your pool, then perhaps 10 ppm, but I think that 20 ppm would be excessive. It's not dangerous, but the chlorine may well be more noticeable.

We had 8 women in our 16,000 gallon pool this past weekend for a couple of hours (it was a woman's gathering so I was banished from the home during that time) and I noticed more than the expected 1 ppm FC chlorine drop (though not an extraordinary amount). I inquired about possible urinating, but only got the kind of look from my wife that translates into "you don't really expect me to answer that question, do you?" We've had this conversation before so I left it at that.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

15. Back To Top    #15

Hair products, make up, body lotion, sun lotion. All that stuff counts as organics to the chlorine.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    I inquired about possible urinating, but only got the kind of look from my wife that translates into "you don't really expect me to answer that question, do you?" We've had this conversation before so I left it at that.
    I know that look very well.

17. Back To Top    #17

So... is anyone sleeping on the ChemCouch tonight?
    -- Guy --

18. Back To Top    #18

So... you are telling me "How much chlorine will I need? It all Depends?"
    -- Guy --

19. Back To Top    #19

On a side note plan for 3 times as many beverages as you think you will need and at least twice as much food, teens swimming = lots of food and drinks needed. Also as soon as the party is over boost your FC to the upper part of the range again, you will be tired, but don't put this off until morning.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    On a side note plan for 3 times as many beverages as you think you will need and at least twice as much food, teens swimming = lots of food and drinks needed. Also as soon as the party is over boost your FC to the upper part of the range again, you will be tired, but don't put this off until morning.

Ike
    Okay. I was thinking the next morning but I'll do it that night then. Guess it might be interesting to take the FC reading just before it starts and then as soon as they are done. Just curious, will the CC be high then?