Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rain and cya levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Rain and cya levels

We have had a lot of rain lately so I had to dump some water Before that, my cya levels were 140. , now they are down to 100. Will a little dumping reduce the cya that much. I was planning on draining about 40% at end of season now I'm not so sure I will need to. Any thoughts?
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rain and cya levels

It's strickly a percentage. If you replace 25% of your water with CYA free water (i.e. rain) then your CYA will go down by 25%. Another problem is that above 100 ppm the CYA tests aren't accurate at all.

How did you test the CYA?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Thesil
    We have had a lot of rain lately so I had to dump some water Before that, my cya levels were 140. , now they are down to 100. Will a little dumping reduce the cya that much. I was planning on draining about 40% at end of season now I'm not so sure I will need to. Any thoughts?
    It certainly could depending on Rain Level and dumping amounts. You are still too high at 100 however. If you have a SWG you can just take it down to the 60-80 range. If you don't, I would suggest taking it down to the 30-50 range.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

I tested with the Taylor kit
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you use the dilution method to get the 140 ppm number?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

It's much easier to test the pool with lower CYA - your minimum FC level will be in the range where the color matching test works. Otherwise it's FAS-DPD every time. Grab as much of that rain as you can! Also note that whatever % CYA goes down, salt will go down as much, so you'll need to replenish it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes I used the dilution method to get the 140 number