Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone installed a solar cover reel directly on Pool Seat???

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone installed a solar cover reel directly on Pool Seat???

I've been considering installing a solar cover reel and do not like the idea of two posts next to the pool. I'm looking at the Whirlwind reel that is designed to attach to the top seat of an above ground pool. I hate the idea of putting holes in the seat but would rather have that then two posts. I just wondered if anyone on here has actually installed one on their pool seat and if that caused any problems.
    Thanks!
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone installed a solar cover reel directly on Pool Sea

I had one attached to the top rail and moved it onto posts just outside the pool wall. I like it on the posts better. There was really nothing wrong with them being on the top rail except that the rail flexes more than you think it does (at least on ours), and caused a bit of an alignment problem when reinstalling it after taking it off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have mine installed on my pool's top rail as well and have a 33ft diam pool. Works fine.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by flyweed
    I have mine installed on my pool's top rail as well and have a 33ft diam pool. Works fine.

Which reel do you have? Any chance I could see a picture of it?
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

I cut mine in half and then made 4 holes to tie it back together in the center, I also secured it in 4 spots on the rail.

The wind can blow through it but it rests back in place

Tying it together can be time consuming, but overall is worth it. Handling is MUCH easier in halves. Plus when it's all 1 piece (unsecured), the wind can blow it out of the pool.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]