Don't have a skimmer for CYA

elig78

Aug 14, 2013
Just finished adding dry acid about 4 hours ago, and have the alkalinity and pH at a good level. I was told to add 1 lb 5 ozs of CYA to pool next, but wasn't told I needed a skimmer. Stuff won't dissolve so I ended up adding just the clear water in and left the chalky stuff in the container. How should I dispose of that? I also just learned from reading posts here that I could put it in an old pantyhose and let it dissolve on its own. Can I still do that even if I have no skimmer. Also, how long must I wait to add shock after the CYA?

Welcome to TFP!

Did you buy liquid CYA or granular CYA? If it was supposed to be the liquid, all the chalky stuff might be the stabilizer that was supposed to be mixed in the liquid ... not sure never used it.

Also, we recommend hanging the sock in front of a return jet instead of the skimmer.

Finally, we do not add "shock" to our pools. What is the chemical and what are you trying to accomplish? Most answers can be find in Pool School.

If you want to both the the same time, I would add (pour slowly) the chlorine in front of the return then place the CYA in an old sock in front of the return (not touching the wall). I would not even worry about the amount of time between the additions. The LC will get gone (but not circulated) and the CYA is going to take a couple hours to dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.