Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Don't have a skimmer for CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Don't have a skimmer for CYA

Just finished adding dry acid about 4 hours ago, and have the alkalinity and pH at a good level. I was told to add 1 lb 5 ozs of CYA to pool next, but wasn't told I needed a skimmer. Stuff won't dissolve so I ended up adding just the clear water in and left the chalky stuff in the container. How should I dispose of that? I also just learned from reading posts here that I could put it in an old pantyhose and let it dissolve on its own. Can I still do that even if I have no skimmer. Also, how long must I wait to add shock after the CYA?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Don't have a skimmer for CYA

Welcome to TFP!

Did you buy liquid CYA or granular CYA? If it was supposed to be the liquid, all the chalky stuff might be the stabilizer that was supposed to be mixed in the liquid ... not sure never used it.

Also, we recommend hanging the sock in front of a return jet instead of the skimmer.

Finally, we do not add "shock" to our pools. What is the chemical and what are you trying to accomplish? Most answers can be find in Pool School.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Granular CYA, and I need to add chlorine. I just wanted to know how long I am supposed to wait between the two.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Antelope, CA

If you want to both the the same time, I would add (pour slowly) the chlorine in front of the return then place the CYA in an old sock in front of the return (not touching the wall). I would not even worry about the amount of time between the additions. The LC will get gone (but not circulated) and the CYA is going to take a couple hours to dissolve.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

He CYA can take a couple days to fully dissolve.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit