We have been fighting a mustard algae

Aug 13, 2013
Hello- we had our pool refinished last year shortly after Mother's Day. Since then we have been fighting a mustard algae and now we have small black spots showing up near the deep end. I have hyper shocked the pool and it clears up and then comes back. See my questions below- any advice is appreciated!
1. We now have Oklahoma flagstone, but did not have it sealed. Could this be a contributing factor to the mustard algae?
2. How can we treat the mustard algae?
3. Are the black spots black algae? I was able to scrape this off with a wire brush.
4. The steps now have some brown tint to them that will now go away- any advice? Guidance?

I can upload pictures tomorrow.

Thank you!

Hello, welcome to the forum. I can start with some questions your surly going to get asked.

What are you full test results and how do you get them?
FC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

Do you have a test kit? Don't forget those pictures.

Can you explain this "hyper shocked" process? specifics like how much, name/type/or active ingredient in product added.

Adding your pool and equipment information into a signature in your user profile also helps members give better advice. http://www.troublefreepool.com/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=signature I've never done a link for editing a signature so hope it works.

You should also read through pool school, he has a vast amount of information to help you greatly understand water balance and pool maintenance. http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

We can help you get your pool back to crystal clear and algae free.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School for starters and consider gewtting the correct test kit to post up the numbers we will all ask for.....you almost have to have it.

Flagstone and algae have no relationship. Inadequate chlorine in your pool is the cause of your other three questions but please start by reading that ABC article and we'll help you get started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.