Solar Blanket and FC relationship?

JFB

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2013
Monréal, Québec, Canada
Would I be correct to assume that with a solar blanket on the pool during the day, the pool loses less FC than if the solar blanket was off and the pool was in full sun all day?

I'm asking because I've noticed the phenomenon, but I don't think I ever saw a sticker on the solar blanket saying: "will protect from both UVA and UVB".

Am I starting to lose it after all these years? :?:

Funny I just posted asking a related question.
I have CYA=50 so target FC=6. My CC=0.25 most of year.
Just started using solar blanket for 1st time in a few years because Michigan weather got cold 3rd week of July.
I suddenly went from using 75 ounces of 12% bleach daily to maintain FC=6, to using only 1.5 gallons of it in the last 10 days.
Upon check, CC=0 for first time all year too!
Pool is perfect, and I'm not complaining about such low chlorine demand...and yes I'm sure it's directly related to use of solar blanket....
But....WOW! Cool but seems too good to be true!

FC is consumed by two things.....organics in your pool and sunlight (UV). When you take away the majority of the sunlight, you will consume less FC.

A pool covered 24/7 is not a good thing. Allow your pool to breathe a bit maybe 2-3 time a week or daily for a few hours if you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.