Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Blanket and FC relationship?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Monréal, Québec, Canada

Solar Blanket and FC relationship?

Would I be correct to assume that with a solar blanket on the pool during the day, the pool loses less FC than if the solar blanket was off and the pool was in full sun all day?

I'm asking because I've noticed the phenomenon, but I don't think I ever saw a sticker on the solar blanket saying: "will protect from both UVA and UVB".

Am I starting to lose it after all these years?

13.5k gallons, IG, Vinyl, Hayward C3030 Cartridge, Hayward Tristar 3/4hp single speed, Hayward T-15 SWG, Hayward P4 automation, 234 sqft Solex Solar panels. April 2013 construction, Dolphin DX4 robot, TF-100 test kit, Pentair Deck Jets 2.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

Re: Solar Blanket and FC relationship?

I have a clear cover and still lose some FC to the sun if left on , but not as much as if it were off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Howell, NJ

I leave my pool covered most of the day (all day, lately since the pool has been so cold) and I usually tend to lose around .5-1 ppm a day. I usually lose more if the pool is left open.
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

Rockwood, Michigan

Funny I just posted asking a related question.
    I have CYA=50 so target FC=6. My CC=0.25 most of year.
    Just started using solar blanket for 1st time in a few years because Michigan weather got cold 3rd week of July.
    I suddenly went from using 75 ounces of 12% bleach daily to maintain FC=6, to using only 1.5 gallons of it in the last 10 days.
    Upon check, CC=0 for first time all year too!
    Pool is perfect, and I'm not complaining about such low chlorine demand...and yes I'm sure it's directly related to use of solar blanket....
    But....WOW! Cool but seems too good to be true!
    Pool: 24,000 gallons, IG, Plaster, Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Pump, Year 2000 Install, Polaris auto vacuum, Lochinvar Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

FC is consumed by two things.....organics in your pool and sunlight (UV). When you take away the majority of the sunlight, you will consume less FC.

A pool covered 24/7 is not a good thing. Allow your pool to breathe a bit maybe 2-3 time a week or daily for a few hours if you can.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School