Loud pump

Sep 7, 2012
Noblesville, IN
I bought my pump 11 months ago and it's worked just fine with no problems until today. I came home from work and found the clocks flashing as if we had a power outage. The power was on and the pump was making a very loud noise it hasn't made before. I checked and I had normal water flow and the pressure was normal. Other than the noise, the pump works just fine. The noise doesn't sound normal.
Since they say the problem is likely the last thing you did, here's what I've done going from recent past to distant past:
Power outage today
Replaced the pump basket with a new, tighter model last weekend
Installed an Intermatic T104 mechanical timer about a month ago
Installed the pump last September

Here is a link to a video of the pump running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gilM2ofdN54

I'm going to call the PS where I got it tomorrow. Does anyone think it will be a problem to let it run tomorrow?

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Loud pump UPDATE

I called the PS I bought the pump from and they said it sounds like the bearings are worn out and the pump has a one year warranty :whoot: I bought it 11 months ago. I'm a little concerned that the bearings are wearing out after 11 months of owning it and using it for only 4 1/2 months since the pool is closed in the winter...They left me a voicemail a little later that the new pump will be on the truck on Thursday and they will come out Friday and install it. They said it will be $100 per hour for an hour of labor, a $40 trip charge and $12 for a new seal. :evil: So my warranted pump will cost me 2/3 the price of my pump to get it replaced. I installed the first pump I bought from them. I'm going to call them in the morning and suggest I bring them their worthless pump and trade them for a new pump and a seal kit that I will install.
The current/bad pump was $240. The new pump will cost me $140 for installation. If they give me grief about them having to install it I'm debating on telling them where they can put their pump and invest my $140 I won't pay them and get a better quality 2 speed pump. Thoughts?

They are not warranting the pump, the manufacturer is. I would take the old pump out and swap it in store and do my own change. The seal... you may be on the hook for that. The seal didn't fail... the motor did.

Welcome to the joys of "parts warranty"... not parts and labor.

Be nice... it will make life easier.

I've got to hand it to our locally owned pool store. They're willing to trade my bad pump that's under warranty for their new pump and won't charge me for installation.
They even called to confirm that the new pump was delivered before I uninstalled my pump to take in.
I was very nice on the phone. I'll be going back there again for equipment!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.