Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added Sodium Carbonate (2 lbs) cloudy water (Solved)

1. Back To Top    #1

Added Sodium Carbonate (2 lbs) cloudy water (Solved)

Hello All,
    My TA was low 40. Needed to bring it up added 2 lbs of sodium carbonate (soda ash) it should bring it up to 50 or so, and it turned the water cloudy. I know it will clear up in time. Any idea how long it will take. My pool was sparkling clear. The reason I'm bringing the TA up it's driving my CSI level very low (-.6). I'm aerating to bring my PH up. Needed to add CYA and it brought my PH way down.
    I've also got borates in the water.

Thanks all.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Added Sodium Carbonate (2 lbs) cloudy water

You do realize that the soad ash raises the pH more than the TA right? Baking soda is what is used to raise TA with less influence on the pH. Although in this case sounds like you need to bring the pH up as well.

2 lbs soda ash should have raised pH by .4 and TA by 13ppm

If you leave the pump on over night, I would think it should clear up by morning.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If it does't improve, please post a complete set of water test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I've got the test numbers.
    FC 9, CC<.5, PH 7.2, TA 40, CH 475, CYA 60, Salt 3000, Borates 45 CSI -.68, TEMP 84

I used what was left on hand. It looked pretty cool going in as it settled to the bottom, it looked like a cloud, along the bottom, and then spread out. The pool cleaner drove into the cloud and stirred it very nicely.

The cloudiness is slowly dissapating, and I am able to see the main drain.

As a side note. I've become a pool snob. We went to a hotel the water was slightly cloudy, and I was comparing it to my typical water. It wasn't as nice. The following day the water was clearer.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    As a side note. I've become a pool snob. We went to a hotel the water was slightly cloudy, and I was comparing it to my typical water. It wasn't as nice. The following day the water was clearer.
    Aren't we all. Was at a BBQ over the weekend and the water was cloudy, floater was barely floating it was so full of pucks, air bubbles coming out the returns (suction leak somewhere), tiles caked in scaling, no weir on the skimmer, ....
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool Snob..lol. It is sad; I am trying not to judge my friends by the condition of thier pool. Makes one proud of this board, pool school and the Tf-100 test kit.
    14,364gal AGP
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x32'x52"
    Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System - 2,650 GPH**Nite-Brite Halogen Pool Light
    TF-100 Test Kit (This kit Rocks)

7. Back To Top    #7

Clearing up slowly.

8. Back To Top    #8

I wish there was a way to add soda ash, baking soda, calcium, etc., to the pool w/o getting cloudy water. I need to increase my TA by 50ppm & my CH by 50 or more and I just hate to throw all those chems in my sparkly water. That's 75lbs or more of powdery stuff.

Oh well, another first world problem.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

All is back to normal. The pool is crystal clear.