Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice needed on using a circulation pump in winter.

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice needed on using a circulation pump in winter.

I have always closed my pool in the winter and not done much with it. I drain the pool below the returns and plug the lines. The main pump is shut down.

I have a new, dark pebble tec finish and was told that if I kept a small recirculation pump half suspended in the pool (attached to string and two buckets), and checked pH every few weeks and balanced, that I would really help to preserve the finish. Darker finishes are more sensitive to showing scale from high TA and pH. At the same time, I could keep some level of FC in the water too.

As long as the water isn't frozen, this is something I could easily do.

What kind of pump would suffice for mixing acid or liquid chlorine (not together! ) in a 19,000 gallon pool? Is one pump good enough - just adding chemicals and running it for a day or so before killing the power?

Thanks for the help or opinions in advance.
    19000 gal in ground, pebble tec. Sta-rite system 3 DE filter, Aquarite SWG, raypak 406A heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice needed on using a circulation pump in winter.

Most any sump pump would circulate the water well enough to disperse the chemicals.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks dave - that is welcome, cost saving news.

I'll then plan on submerging the pump on a lower step, with the end of the hose dumping water into the other end of the pool, through the mesh cover.

It's probably a guesstimate, but how long do you think is adequate to run the pump after each addition. A day? A few hours?

Thanks
    19000 gal in ground, pebble tec. Sta-rite system 3 DE filter, Aquarite SWG, raypak 406A heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Probably an hour or so.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks again.

e