Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My rigid backflush pipe solution

1. Back To Top    #1

My rigid backflush pipe solution

I went with 100' of 2" poly from home depot, a 1' section of 2" clear PVC with a vacuum break hose bib on a 'T', and a 1.5" MIP to slip using a double clamp collar. I need to make some sort of support for the 'T' fitting to prevent the clear hose from sagging. But when backflushing, you sure can see all the **** in the water! I plan to bury the hose going across the yard this weekend. The whole run is downslope so it should self drain.

In retrospect, it would have easier and cheaper to go with 1.5", but bigger is better!

45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My rigid backflush pipe solution

Looks good.
    24ft x 52in Round AGP Heritage pool Aquamaster 19 in sand filter & 1 hp pump. Clear Solar blanket 12 Mil. TF-100 Test Kit. Pool filled June 3rd 2013 well water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I'm curious to see how the clear PVC hold up in the weather.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater

4. Back To Top    #4

The hose bib is a vent to allow the pipe to completely drain? Looks good.

I've been tempted to built a lawn waterer for my backwash water. Maybe 20' of PVC from the filter to the yard, then a "T" w/ 20' of PVC on either side of the "T". Cap those lines & drill holes in them along their length to allow the water to spray out. Just a thought....
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, the hose bib has a built-in vacuum break, so when the pump is turned off, initially the clear hose gets sucked closed, but the vacuum break allows air in and the line drains.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm looking at the gray fittings where you have the 2" clear clamped on. Are they sort of like a barbed fitting for holding a hose on? Only difference being that it is actually just one ring or a single barb. If so do you have a source? I have one fitting that is 1-1/2" slip on one side and that type of connection on the other end and I was trying to find some more.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

7. Back To Top    #7

Those look like the barbed fittings I used for a flex irrigation pipe project. I only found then in irrigation at Lowes. hD did not sell this product.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't waste time at the big box store. Here's what I used. http://www.plumbingsupply.com/insertfittings.html

9. Back To Top    #9

Good call on the vacuum breaker. Most people miss that. They do have vacuum breakers that work automatically. Such as this:

http://www.salcoproducts.com/page/vv34b102a
    Or, this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2- ... /100204205

10. Back To Top    #10

Nice, what I like about those is they look like they'll flow more air than the little hose bib does. It's automatic too, but the clear hose sucks closed for a few seconds.

11. Back To Top    #11

I use the watts one on my solar panels and it does flow a good amount of air and is quick acting (1psi, I think). I would expect the one built into the hose bib has a much higher psi and flows less air causing the hose to collapse. I would bet the Oatey from HD even flows a bit more. I used the watts one being it is in a critical position up on my roof but for your backwash the Oatey would be fine if you didn't want the hose to collapse. Just spin that on grey connector so the valve mounts vertically and you may also need an adapter for the Oatey.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

12. Back To Top    #12

I wanted to follow up and say that the clear hose is still working just great. I never did support it, its been holding up fine by itself. The plastic is getting a little cloudy after being out all winter. I'm guessing I'll get another season or 2 out of it and replace the clear section again.