Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ideal CYA in Houston?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ideal CYA in Houston?

My pool is two months old and Ive been using trichlor pucks to raise my CYA levels. My CYA is at 50 now, and I'm wondering how much higher I should let it go. My FC these last few days gas been happy and stable at 6.0. I've been using bioguard silk tabs in a rainbow inline chlorinatior on full blast for the last two months but still supplementing with Clorox to keep FC up. We do have a high bather load (3 of my own kids swimming daily plus various friends and neighbors as well), but I think the sun was chewing up most of my chlorine. I have full sun from 10am-7pm every day. I must admit I'm loving that my FC is finally stable. I'm fastidious with my pool...brush and vacuum weekly, clean skimmers weekly, check chemicals daily, and adjust as needed. My pool is sparkly and beautiful! I don't want to mess anything up, so how high should I allow my CYA to go?

Here is the whole picture from today's test:
    FC 6.0
    CC <.5
    TC 6.5
    pH 7.6
    CH 460 (ugh)
    CYA 50
    TA 90
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ideal CYA in Houston?

I'd stop it right where it is. 50 to 60 is a good range for your location.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Dreampool13
    My pool is two months old and Ive been using trichlor pucks to raise my CYA levels. My CYA is at 50 now, and I'm wondering how much higher I should let it go. My FC these last few days gas been happy and stable at 6.0. I've been using bioguard silk tabs in a rainbow inline chlorinatior on full blast for the last two months but still supplementing with Clorox to keep FC up. We do have a high bather load (3 of my own kids swimming daily plus various friends and neighbors as well), but I think the sun was chewing up most of my chlorine. I have full sun from 10am-7pm every day. I must admit I'm loving that my FC is finally stable. I'm fastidious with my pool...brush and vacuum weekly, clean skimmers weekly, check chemicals daily, and adjust as needed. My pool is sparkly and beautiful! I don't want to mess anything up, so how high should I allow my CYA to go?

Here is the whole picture from today's test:
    FC 6.0
    CC <.5
    TC 6.5
    pH 7.6
    CH 460 (ugh)
    CYA 50
    TA 90
    I think you are at the point where you should consider not letting it go any higher. Somebody in your neck of the woods will probably have a better opinion. Much higher and you will need to raise your FC level. If you get a bloom a SLAM is a pain at high levels of CYA.

I just changed water twice this year so I'm a little gun shy when it comes to high levels of CYA. Easy to raise, a pain to lower.
    16,500 gallon, 18" x 38" Grecian; IG Vinyl, Hayward DE

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I agree to stop the pucks right where you are. Allowing your CYA on up to 60 would be fine, too, but do NOT go any higher.

With your high swimmer load, 50-60 is a nice balance.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice job on your maintenance program!
    I'm in the Houston area as well with a similar swim load and sun exposure (98F+ lately). I've noticed more consistent FC levels with my CYA at 55-60. Also, with the swim load (amount of splash-out and rain), I'm having great results with my Chlorinator (same as yours) set on 2-3 using dichlor to supplement my Clorox additions (about 1 gallon/3days). We'll see how the winter treats us
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok great! I've seen some people happy with levels around 80 in full sun but once the remaining pucks dissolve, we will be a bleach only pool. I think I have like 4 left in my chlorinator. I like the convenience so I might start looking into installing a liquidator or a Peristaltic pump. But for now I'm DONE spending money on this pool project!
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.