Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on new pump selection

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice on new pump selection

I just found out yesterday that my 8 yr. old Hayward pump (2.5 HP) had a broken/cracked impeller. The pool tech I had out said that he might be able to fix it (thought ~$180) but that the impeller can be hard to get out and that in general replacement parts can be tricky because Hayward doesn't make the pump any more. He said if it was his pool he would get a new pump and recommended a Pentair Whisperflo.

I am curious if this is good advice. The rest of my specs are below. I read several forum threads and seemed like the consensus seems to be that Pentair is preferable over Hayward and that if replacing a pump I should at least go for two speed. Will I run into issues trying to interface a 2-speed Pentair to my Goldline control unit? Should I also be considering a variable-speed pump - although this seems like even more of a long-shot to interface with the Goldline...

Thanks for any advice.

My pool info:
    35000 gal IG pebble tek
    Hayward Aqua Logic w/ T-15 SWG
    Hayward 72 ft2 DE filter
    2.5 HP Hayward pump (mentioned above - not sure what the model# is)
    35000 gal IG pebble tek
    Hayward 72 ft2 DE filter
    Hayward 2.5 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice on new pump selection

I think the Whisperflo pumps are great pumps, but since all your other equipment is Hayward I would stick with them. You shouldn't have any problem with interfacing any brand 2-speed pump with your control system if you have either a spare relay or a 2-speed relay in the unit.

That's a pretty big pump. Do you have any water features or a spa that requires a high flow? If you don't it may be better to downsize the pump a bit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I wondered about the size too. We have both water features (1 jet in spa, 3 jets on large shallow step) and a spa, although having said that I'm not particularly concerned about high flow on any of those. I also have aerators on 3 of the returns to try and help control pool temp (we struggle in the summer in Texas with the dark pebble tec bottom) - am a bit more concerned about keep good flow through those.
    35000 gal IG pebble tek
    Hayward 72 ft2 DE filter
    Hayward 2.5 HP pump

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd probably stick with a pump about the size you have now given the water features and spa.

If your electric rate is 20¢ per kwh or more you might want to consider a VS pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't really see any reason to stick with a Hayward pump, my Hayward Prologic controls the Pentair 2-speed with no problems (you do need 2 of the relays).

Can you read what the service factor was on the old motor? That is a pretty big pump and likely you can get by with something a little smaller ... like the 2.20 SFHP Whisperflo 2-speed.

Do you have any info for the old pump? There are different lines of pumps and a 2.5HP in the SuperPump or Superflo line is NOT the same as a 2.5HP pump in the Super II or Whisperflo lineup of pumps.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

How about a photo of the old pump, without more information we can't give any opinion on how difficult it would be to replace the current impeller, etc.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

This is pretty hard to read, but about the best picture I could get of the pump - see if you can decipher.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yehc6r92mq...aywardPump.JPG
    35000 gal IG pebble tek
    Hayward 72 ft2 DE filter
    Hayward 2.5 HP pump