Advice on new pump selection

Jun 22, 2013
I just found out yesterday that my 8 yr. old Hayward pump (2.5 HP) had a broken/cracked impeller. The pool tech I had out said that he might be able to fix it (thought ~$180) but that the impeller can be hard to get out and that in general replacement parts can be tricky because Hayward doesn't make the pump any more. He said if it was his pool he would get a new pump and recommended a Pentair Whisperflo.

I am curious if this is good advice. The rest of my specs are below. I read several forum threads and seemed like the consensus seems to be that Pentair is preferable over Hayward and that if replacing a pump I should at least go for two speed. Will I run into issues trying to interface a 2-speed Pentair to my Goldline control unit? Should I also be considering a variable-speed pump - although this seems like even more of a long-shot to interface with the Goldline...

Thanks for any advice.

My pool info:
35000 gal IG pebble tek
Hayward Aqua Logic w/ T-15 SWG
Hayward 72 ft2 DE filter
2.5 HP Hayward pump (mentioned above - not sure what the model# is)

I think the Whisperflo pumps are great pumps, but since all your other equipment is Hayward I would stick with them. You shouldn't have any problem with interfacing any brand 2-speed pump with your control system if you have either a spare relay or a 2-speed relay in the unit.

That's a pretty big pump. Do you have any water features or a spa that requires a high flow? If you don't it may be better to downsize the pump a bit.

I wondered about the size too. We have both water features (1 jet in spa, 3 jets on large shallow step) and a spa, although having said that I'm not particularly concerned about high flow on any of those. I also have aerators on 3 of the returns to try and help control pool temp (we struggle in the summer in Texas with the dark pebble tec bottom) - am a bit more concerned about keep good flow through those.

I don't really see any reason to stick with a Hayward pump, my Hayward Prologic controls the Pentair 2-speed with no problems (you do need 2 of the relays).

Can you read what the service factor was on the old motor? That is a pretty big pump and likely you can get by with something a little smaller ... like the 2.20 SFHP Whisperflo 2-speed.

Do you have any info for the old pump? There are different lines of pumps and a 2.5HP in the SuperPump or Superflo line is NOT the same as a 2.5HP pump in the Super II or Whisperflo lineup of pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.