Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Natural gas heater recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

Natural gas heater recommendation

About to have a fiberglass 15k gal pool installed. Of the most popular(hayward,jandy,pentair,sta-rite,raypac,etc) heaters available which seems to be the most durable and problem free? The heater will also be located outdoors so one that is a bit more resistant to sun fade/weather would be a plus. I'm interested in a 200kbtu heater. The pool will probably will have a SWG as well.

Thanks in advance for replies
    15k gal inground Viking fiberglass pool; Hayward Variable 1.5hp pump (Maxflo VS); Hayward swimclear 325 sg ft cartridge filter; Raypak 206A 199k btu nat gas heater; Aquabot Bravo robotic pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Natural gas heater recommendation

18 X 32 Oval Inground Gunite Pool 20,000 Gallons Epoxy Painted in 2012
    Tagelus Sand Filter TA 60 D/TA 60-Hayward Super Pumps 1 H.P.
    Ray-Pac Heater 266,000 BTU, KLeen Machine Pool Cleaner
    Solar Cover-Rocky's Pool Cover Reel-Intermatic T104R Timer
    TF-100 Test Kit-PoolSkim Skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Raypak...
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll second the Raypak.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I'll third the Raypak.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

Pentair Master Temp. Very efficient, you won't regret it.
    Pebble 63kL - Waterco S602 (Zeolite) - Hurlcon EVO P300 3 sp 1KW.
    Watermaid SWG QT150 cell - Polaris 280 Cleaner.
    Spa - spill over (no heater at the moment).

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the Pentair MasterTemp 400HD and it has been great!

9. Back To Top    #9

I've had a Raypak RP2100 since 2000 and have never had an issue.
    Gary
    18 x 38 28800 gals gunite inground;Purex Triton High Rate Sand Filter;1 HP 2 Speed Hayward Tristar Pump; Raypak Heater
    Aquabot Bravo; Goldline Aqua Logic Controller/SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Darko5500
    Pentair Master Temp. Very efficient, you won't regret it.
    Do you know what the efficiency is? I thought most gas heaters are ~83-84% (aside from the high $$ 95% units)
    15k gal inground Viking fiberglass pool; Hayward Variable 1.5hp pump (Maxflo VS); Hayward swimclear 325 sg ft cartridge filter; Raypak 206A 199k btu nat gas heater; Aquabot Bravo robotic pool cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Not only should you consider efficiency, but also the cost of owner ship. When something breaks on the unit what will it cost to repair. I can tell you that Master Temp, Sta Rite(Same as Master Temp , just a different outside shell), and the Hayward's, are all not cheap for repairs. All three have a blower motor to help exhaust the heat that comes off the burners. That in itself is not a cheap repair.

Raypak provides a relatively inexpensive unit that is simple and straight forward to operate. No extra bells or whistles. Does what it's suppose to do, heat water.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

12. Back To Top    #12

My in-laws just replaced a 33 year old Raypak with a MasterTemp, and the MasterTemp already needs service after one day of use. They have a known problem with some of the units causing them to whine. It it supposed to be a quick easy fix.

They went with the MasterTemp because they replaced all of their equipment and their pool guy works with Pentair equipment. I wanted them to get a Raypak again, but they chose the MasterTemp.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

One thing to consider is that if you buy 3 or more pieces from the same manufacturer they usually up the warranty. I bought a Pentair VS pump, SWG, filter and StaRite heater and they all have a 3 year warranty now. Plus, I used my credit card for the purchase and it has a warranty extension as one of its features so that added a 4th year.

Based on what I have read, the salt in a pool with a SWG raises the tds level to the point where there is additional erosion of the inner surface of the exchanger. When the metal surface oxidizes, the material below it is protected from oxygen. With the higher solids content in the salt pools, this oxidized layer is eroded off more quickly exposing the fresh metal below it. This speed the process up. I went with the cupronickel exchanger to help, but I plan to set up my piping to allow the heater to be bypassed in the summer when I don't use it which should help extend its life. Of course, that won't do anything for the control board or blower motor but we'll see if it helps.
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303
    Not only should you consider efficiency, but also the cost of owner ship. When something breaks on the unit what will it cost to repair. I can tell you that Master Temp, Sta Rite(Same as Master Temp , just a different outside shell), and the Hayward's, are all not cheap for repairs. All three have a blower motor to help exhaust the heat that comes off the burners. That in itself is not a cheap repair.

Raypak provides a relatively inexpensive unit that is simple and straight forward to operate. No extra bells or whistles. Does what it's suppose to do, heat water.
    good info... seems as if folks here are quite happy with raypak... I suppose its worth the few extra bucks for cupro/nickel heat exchanger especially that I'm considering a SWG. Any manufacturers use a monel exhanger?

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Honestly as long as you keep your levels good, the cupro nickel is a waste in my opinion. The only time I see or even recommend it is on a commercial pool. No monel in pool heaters that I have ever seen or heard of.
    Paul

16. Back To Top    #16

I was told by a rep from Pentair that I would probably be ok with the copper instead of the cupronickel but being that I was installing a salt pool I spent the extra $250 or so for the upgrade. If that $250 is the only money I waste on this pool I'll be happy.
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller