Need a little advice on chlorine

Jul 16, 2007
I have been fighting algae. Right now the pool looks pretty good. It is 10:30 at night and the chlorine level is at 13 the CYA is at 30.

I added 5 gallons of pool store chlorine late this afternoon that got it to 13. According to the charts and calculators I need to add another gallon to get the level to 15 and see how that holds overnight. Is this correct? It sounds like an awful lot of chlorine.

Never mind. I looked a little closer and realized that you meant that it is not too much chlorine.
I sure do apreciate all the help I get from this web site. I have fought algae the whole time I have had this pool. I never seem to be able to keep chlorine in unless I add the liquid. I think the feeder must not work right. It looks like a fairly simple device and I have studied it. There is a stream of water that looks like it should dissolve the pucks from the bottom and let them feed down. I have it turned up full blast and I can see the stream of water when it is empty but I don't think I am using pucks fast enough and I never seem to have enough chlorine in the pool. Do these things malfunction? It doesn't appear to be leaking or anything. Is there some test I can run or some way to check it?

It is a porpoise 232. It holds about 6 of those pucks. It is several weeks before it uses them all. I have been here for 3 summers and only bought chlorine about 4 times (big containers). I run the pump most of the time.
It is a little difficult because I don't have anything to compare with except that most folks say they buy a lot more chlorine pucks than I do.

Last night I added the gallon which should have brought the pool to 15. This morning the chlorine was reading 13. All of the chlorine was free. The water is a little bit cloudy (very little). I had caught the algae in very early stage. I have been fighting this so long that I have gotten good at telling when it is about to turn green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.