Out of Trichlor Tabs, can I just use bleach?

Aug 4, 2013
Guyton, GA
My FC is a 1. Checked the bac pac and it was empty and I don't have a refil on hand. Is it safe to use bleach when I've been using Trichlor tabs? And can I go back to using Trichlor tabs after adding bleach? I know it's all chlorine, but still learning and not sure how it all works.

Oh, BTW, the bleach on hand is GV. The active ingredient is Sodium Hypochlorite 8.25%, Other ingredients 91.75%. Yields 7.86% available chlorine. When using the pool calculator do I use 8.25% or 7.86%?

Bleach is the single finest method of introducing chlorine into your pool. I can't tell you just how much to use because you must post your CYA test results first.

I can tell you you can easily put in two 96 oz jugs of Clorox each evening until your kit gets in (tomorrow, I think, if you ordered Sunday).

You certainly don't have enough chlorine in your pool right now.

How does your water look?

Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School?

Those pucks are not just all chlorine. They add CYA and are acidic. Over time they will drive your CYA level up to where its unmanageable to keep your FC level correct. Then comes the green stuff.

Liquid chlorine is the way to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I can't test my CYA yet. I only guess it's in the 40's because of the past three test the pool store ran and it was in the 40's each time. My kit shipped today and hopefully it will get here tomorrow. The pool is crystal clear. I am using the pool frog and will be switching over. Just not sure about the mixing trichlor and bleach and exatly what the bleach percentage levels mean on the label. I've been reading the pool school and trying to absorb it all...just a little confused I guess. The jugs I have are 121oz.

I would put both 121 oz jugs in your pool tonight, if possible, or tomorrow AM. Your FC is way too low and you are inviting Mr Algae into your pool.

It makes no difference whatsoever that you have been using trichlor.

8.25 is correct. AS i indicated earlier, you are wa-a-a-ay too low on FC so calculating your dosage for those two jugs is unnecessary unless you want the practice (which is not a bad idea...you'll be using it often)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.