First time closing myself

Aug 12, 2013
Michigan
Greetings all,

I purchased a house last year (located in Michigan) that has an inground pool (18x36) with a Hayward Sand filter, one skimmer and two return jets. I hired someone to close it last year but will be doing it myself this year for obvious reasons I will not mention. I have been reading threads and researching closing options, and have some questions. My main question relates to how I can close the pool without draining it down below the jets.

1. I have seen these one-way valves that replace the return jets (eyeballs) - Do they work? And if so, can the pump blow them out or do you need to use a blower from the skimmer? (I do not have a blower box but do have powerful shop vacs). Oh yea, I did purchase a Aqua-dor cover for the skimmer last year.

2. Where do you poor the antifreeze in, in order to get it into the return lines? I am sure the guy did not do this last year, other than maybe pouring it into the filter cartridge near the sand filter. is that good enough?

3. I don't recall him blowing out the drain line at the bottom of the pool. Perhaps he pour some antifreeze in somewhere, but in all, he only used 1 gallon for everything.

Any advice or suggestions are most certainly welcomed! Thank you!

This thread went a little off topic, so lets see if we can get back on course. Members please start a new thread if you have a question so the original poster's questions don't get overlooked and remain unanswered. Zea 3

bigredcummins said:
Greetings all,

I purchased a house last year (located in Michigan) that has an inground pool (18x36) with a Hayward Sand filter, one skimmer and two return jets. I hired someone to close it last year but will be doing it myself this year for obvious reasons I will not mention. I have been reading threads and researching closing options, and have some questions. My main question relates to how I can close the pool without draining it down below the jets.

1. I have seen these one-way valves that replace the return jets (eyeballs) - Do they work? And if so, can the pump blow them out or do you need to use a blower from the skimmer? (I do not have a blower box but do have powerful shop vacs). Oh yea, I did purchase a Aqua-dor cover for the skimmer last year.

2. Where do you poor the antifreeze in, in order to get it into the return lines? I am sure the guy did not do this last year, other than maybe pouring it into the filter cartridge near the sand filter. is that good enough?

3. I don't recall him blowing out the drain line at the bottom of the pool. Perhaps he pour some antifreeze in somewhere, but in all, he only used 1 gallon for everything.

Any advice or suggestions are most certainly welcomed! Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.