Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time closing myself

1. Back To Top    #1

First time closing myself

Greetings all,

I purchased a house last year (located in Michigan) that has an inground pool (18x36) with a Hayward Sand filter, one skimmer and two return jets. I hired someone to close it last year but will be doing it myself this year for obvious reasons I will not mention. I have been reading threads and researching closing options, and have some questions. My main question relates to how I can close the pool without draining it down below the jets.

1. I have seen these one-way valves that replace the return jets (eyeballs) - Do they work? And if so, can the pump blow them out or do you need to use a blower from the skimmer? (I do not have a blower box but do have powerful shop vacs). Oh yea, I did purchase a Aqua-dor cover for the skimmer last year.

2. Where do you poor the antifreeze in, in order to get it into the return lines? I am sure the guy did not do this last year, other than maybe pouring it into the filter cartridge near the sand filter. is that good enough?

3. I don't recall him blowing out the drain line at the bottom of the pool. Perhaps he pour some antifreeze in somewhere, but in all, he only used 1 gallon for everything.

Any advice or suggestions are most certainly welcomed! Thank you!
    18x36, center step, vinyl liner, 24k gal, 1hp Hayward Superpump, sand filter, YOC: 1993

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time closing myself

just curious....

how much did it cost to close your pool?

$325 to close and $325 to open here in Northern Virginia.
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

$280 but I had to do all of the prep work (balance, shock, vacuum, pump it down, fill it up). I am a do-it-your-selfer but wanted to try to pick up some pointers last year.
    18x36, center step, vinyl liner, 24k gal, 1hp Hayward Superpump, sand filter, YOC: 1993

4. Back To Top    #4

Just curious, I also live in Michigan and this will be my first time closing pool. When are you planning on closing your pool?
    27K gallon, IG vinyl pool, SD80 Sand Dollar sand filter-Michigan, 1hp pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Ideally you should close when the water stays below 60 degrees ... it should not be based on a date:
    pool-school/winterizing%20and%20closing%20your%20above%20group%20pool
    pool-school/closing_in_ground_pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I believe last year we closed it around Sept 25. But Like the last person posted, needs to be cool so the water temp is below 60.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep the cooler the water the better.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

This thread went a little off topic, so lets see if we can get back on course. Members please start a new thread if you have a question so the original poster's questions don't get overlooked and remain unanswered. Zea 3

Quote Originally Posted by bigredcummins
    Greetings all,

I purchased a house last year (located in Michigan) that has an inground pool (18x36) with a Hayward Sand filter, one skimmer and two return jets. I hired someone to close it last year but will be doing it myself this year for obvious reasons I will not mention. I have been reading threads and researching closing options, and have some questions. My main question relates to how I can close the pool without draining it down below the jets.

1. I have seen these one-way valves that replace the return jets (eyeballs) - Do they work? And if so, can the pump blow them out or do you need to use a blower from the skimmer? (I do not have a blower box but do have powerful shop vacs). Oh yea, I did purchase a Aqua-dor cover for the skimmer last year.

2. Where do you poor the antifreeze in, in order to get it into the return lines? I am sure the guy did not do this last year, other than maybe pouring it into the filter cartridge near the sand filter. is that good enough?

3. I don't recall him blowing out the drain line at the bottom of the pool. Perhaps he pour some antifreeze in somewhere, but in all, he only used 1 gallon for everything.

Any advice or suggestions are most certainly welcomed! Thank you!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!