Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding bleach daily?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding bleach daily?

Recently switched to the BBB method after the pool store completely messed the pool up for a couple weeks.

The question is; my CYA is around 55. I did the SLAM for a few days until I passed the OCLT. Now to keep my FC up I am having to add bleach daily. Does this sound right? Testing and adding daily? My pool sees full hot Florida sun all day.

Thanks for all the good advice, pool looks great.
    IG Plaster~8500gal pool, ~300gal spa, Cartridge filter, ComPool LX100 controller, PentAir 320 In-Line Chlorinator, SwimTemp heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding bleach daily?

Yes. You will have to dose with bleach daily to keep your FC in range for your CYA level. pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by hybridtrendz
    Does this sound right? Testing and adding daily?
    Absolutely. Testing and adding chlorine daily is an entirely normal part of owning a pool during the summer swim season.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

How much on average are you having to add daily?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Recently switched to the BBB method after the pool store completely messed the pool up for a couple weeks.

The question is; my CYA is around 55. I did the SLAM for a few days until I passed the OCLT. Now to keep my FC up I am having to add bleach daily. Does this sound right? Testing and adding daily? My pool sees full hot Florida sun all day.

Thanks for all the good advice, pool looks great.

As a point of reference....

I have a 12,000 gallon pool....and am adding about a quart of 8.25% bleach each day....

roughly losing about 3.5 ppm of FC at my current CYA of around 35.
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I am having to add about a quart daily. I try to keep FC around 7-10ppm. The FC goes down a lot during the day with the sun/heat
    IG Plaster~8500gal pool, ~300gal spa, Cartridge filter, ComPool LX100 controller, PentAir 320 In-Line Chlorinator, SwimTemp heat pump

7. Back To Top    #7

if your CYA is 55, then your minimum FC level would be 4.5.

Assuming your CYA was even 60, then your minimum CYA would be 5.....so, you should be targeting 8 as your dose level when you re-dose bleach every evening....

Another thing I've noticed....

even with being fairly certain that my pool is 12,000 gallons..... when I dose to get to a certain level, say FC - 7, I'll wait a couple of hours and re-test the water to find that my FC level is actually more like 8 or 8.5.

Perhaps because the pool isn't always the same amount, due to rain, or conversly, evaporation.....

just making the point....it seems a good idea to retest your water a couple hours after dosing it so that you can know your TRUE FC loss each 24 hours.
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am having to add about a quart daily. I try to keep FC around 7-10ppm. The FC goes down a lot during the day with the sun/heat
    Sounds completely normal to me. Full sun exposure and use (swimmers) will eat up the FC's. I "predose" my pool by a couple of ppm FC's if I know we are having a pool party. Yeah, I am that paranoid, and a snob...LOL
    14,600g / 24ft. Round Above Ground with Solar Cover
    18" Hayward Pro Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump running 10am - 8pm
    Full Sun (when we get sun ... LOL): Approx. 10am to 7pm
    Using the Trouble Free Method, and loving it!! Arrrrrrrr!!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

4 cups per day for my size pool. With cya around 40
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    2017-Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 5000 Gallons
    Intex 2800GPH Pump with 14" Intex Sand Filter
    My Intex Pool Setup Video :Intex pool rises from the ashes - installing and leveling - EP-72 - YouTube

10. Back To Top    #10

I moved a bunch of comments that turned into a thread hijack to HERE. While it started as related, best to keep the different discussions separate. jblizzle
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!