Is my Polaris booster pump motor failing?

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
This is for the PB4 pump. For about a week now, the pump turns off after running about 20 seconds. After a minute or so it starts up again but shuts down. Below is a list of things I read it could be and my comments;

Poor water flow, overheating [checked circulation, is fine]

Something obstructing the motor or impeller [impeller and pump turn, even tried it with the impeller off....it does sounds a little rough/abrasive, I took the impeller and housing off and checked everything]

Bad capacitor [not sure about this, if the pump starts its fine right? Polaris tech support mentioned the capacitor but I'm not sure]

FWIW, I can turn the shaft, not with my bare hands but with little effort using a wrench. The concrete block the pump is on is small and there's a lot of finer sand around, from the ground. My best guess is sand got inside the motor and is gunking things up. The finer sand is in the electrical connector area, I clean it with electrical cleaning spray, but no difference.

Not sure what to do, tempted to buy a replacement motor.

Definitly the thermal switch is turning off, i can hear it click. I wouldn't say smooth. Not sand-in-the-gears rough, but there is some resistance. I'll post a picture tommorrow, I think silt/dirt got in there.

So, to follow up in case this helps anyone. They guy at a local motor repair place said there was a problem with the internal windings, some type of short happening. Not worth repairing. He said I need to cover the pump from rain and snow. He said that the long screws to take the pump apart break 1/2 the time when taking it apart, and when they do its game over.

Also there's dirt being kicked up near the pump. So that got in there to. Lastly, the black paint was starting to bubble on the "belly" of the pump, indicating rusting. All for a 3 year pump.

So lesson learned, this was probably preventable with having the pump in a better environment. I'm going to dig out some ground around the pump, put river rock down, then put the pump back on a concrete paver on that river rock. Also need to figure out whether I need to build a shed-style roof or a seperate pump cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.