REAL high CYA; lots of dumb moves; now what?

Aug 12, 2013
Have made lots of errors this year in my pool. Too embarrassed to list here. Assuming draining some of my pool to basically start the repair process, what next? The high CYA I believe was caused by the "low cost" shock I've used all year. Results in lots of algae, followed by really bad "more and more shock"' advice from Leslie's.

Summer's almost over for the kids and hate to waste time and want to get fixed ASAP. Advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, tfp

Welcome to the forum.

We really need more numbers to advise you properly. How do you know the CYA is that high? If it is, I am sorry to tell you that you can only drain and re-fill to lower it. How much is a question of how much CYA you have. If it is 100 or more, you need a minimum of 50% drain and re-fill. Bare minimum.

Well, my best estimate of the high CYA is from the guys at Leslie's (I know, I know,...). Was going to take to different store tonight. Everything I've read about the effects of excessive CYA makes sense as I've battled algae as a result of -0- chlorine all year inspite of tablets and shock.

How many gallons in your pool? Along with test measurements the volume of water is needed. Pool calculator can help you with obtaining vital information based upon the tests and volume of water but you'll first need test results. With results from a good test kit (TF100 recommended on this site) people here can guide you on really what your up against as far as what will be needed. Reading pool school here on the site is a start to try and solve things on your own but at this time to get help now you'll want to give us the results from water testing that you have from Leslies (or preferably from your own good test kit). Also read more on the SLAM process as you will be soon deep into that process as well.

Hang in there - once you have discovered BBB you will free yourself from Leslie's never ending cycle of trichlor use/algae persistence to require you spend money there.

Does not matter what pool store does the testing ... they are typically not very accurate ... especially for CYA.

If you want to take control and get it fixed fast, then get one of the Recommended Test Kits ... NOW!!! TF100 at tftestkits.net is the best value. And read Pool School {button at the upper right of the page} while waiting for it to arrive.

BTW, typically liquid chlorine is cheaper than all other forms of chlorine looking at the $/ppm FC ... so your "low cost" chlorine may not have been the lowest cost possible ... and as a bonus, you are now in this mess.

If you choose to believe those numbers (knowing that CYA test is their worst), then you need to replace 50-60% of the water to get the CYA down into the recommended range and then SLAM the pool. [slam:2ewnhz7v][/slam:2ewnhz7v]

Don't expect everything to be fixed overnight, it will take a few days-weeks to clean it up depending on the current condition of the water ... and that assumes you have the right tool/test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The best use of your time, while waiting for your test kit is Pool School. It's the button on the upper right corner of this page. Study, study, study. When you have unanswered questions, post back here.

As you should have read by now ;) the cal-hypo adds calcium, which can also be a problem if the CH gets too high.

If you want something else to do while waiting: add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.