Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: REAL high CYA; lots of dumb moves; now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

REAL high CYA; lots of dumb moves; now what?

Have made lots of errors this year in my pool. Too embarrassed to list here. Assuming draining some of my pool to basically start the repair process, what next? The high CYA I believe was caused by the "low cost" shock I've used all year. Results in lots of algae, followed by really bad "more and more shock"' advice from Leslie's.

Summer's almost over for the kids and hate to waste time and want to get fixed ASAP. Advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, tfp
    15k gallons / IG / PebbleSheen / Cartridge Filter / 1.5HP dual speed pump / Built Aug 2010 / Spa / TigerShark cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: REAL high CYA; lots of dumb moves; now what?

Welcome to the forum.

We really need more numbers to advise you properly. How do you know the CYA is that high? If it is, I am sorry to tell you that you can only drain and re-fill to lower it. How much is a question of how much CYA you have. If it is 100 or more, you need a minimum of 50% drain and re-fill. Bare minimum.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, my best estimate of the high CYA is from the guys at Leslie's (I know, I know,...). Was going to take to different store tonight. Everything I've read about the effects of excessive CYA makes sense as I've battled algae as a result of -0- chlorine all year inspite of tablets and shock.
    15k gallons / IG / PebbleSheen / Cartridge Filter / 1.5HP dual speed pump / Built Aug 2010 / Spa / TigerShark cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

How many gallons in your pool? Along with test measurements the volume of water is needed. Pool calculator can help you with obtaining vital information based upon the tests and volume of water but you'll first need test results. With results from a good test kit (TF100 recommended on this site) people here can guide you on really what your up against as far as what will be needed. Reading pool school here on the site is a start to try and solve things on your own but at this time to get help now you'll want to give us the results from water testing that you have from Leslies (or preferably from your own good test kit). Also read more on the SLAM process as you will be soon deep into that process as well.

Hang in there - once you have discovered BBB you will free yourself from Leslie's never ending cycle of trichlor use/algae persistence to require you spend money there.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. It's about 15k gallons. Was told consistently all other #'s were "perfect." Just not CYA and FC. Will post all #'s once received.

6. Back To Top    #6

Does not matter what pool store does the testing ... they are typically not very accurate ... especially for CYA.

If you want to take control and get it fixed fast, then get one of the Recommended Test Kits ... NOW!!! TF100 at tftestkits.net is the best value. And read Pool School {button at the upper right of the page} while waiting for it to arrive.

BTW, typically liquid chlorine is cheaper than all other forms of chlorine looking at the $/ppm FC ... so your "low cost" chlorine may not have been the lowest cost possible ... and as a bonus, you are now in this mess.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, FWIW, here's what I have (and YES, I get it: I need to buy a test kit):
    CYA 115
    TC .3
    FC 0
    pH 7.2
    Alkalinity 113
    Adj. Total Alk 78
    Total Hardness 139

8. Back To Top    #8

If you choose to believe those numbers (knowing that CYA test is their worst), then you need to replace 50-60% of the water to get the CYA down into the recommended range and then SLAM the pool. [slam:2ewnhz7v][/slam:2ewnhz7v]

Don't expect everything to be fixed overnight, it will take a few days-weeks to clean it up depending on the current condition of the water ... and that assumes you have the right tool/test kit.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Draining as I type. Yea.

10. Back To Top    #10

I've drained 50-60% of my pool. Next dumb question: what does Calcium Hypochlorite do? What are the pro's/con's? I'm trying to bide my time until I receive my test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

The best use of your time, while waiting for your test kit is Pool School. It's the button on the upper right corner of this page. Study, study, study. When you have unanswered questions, post back here.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Big thanks.

13. Back To Top    #13

As you should have read by now the cal-hypo adds calcium, which can also be a problem if the CH gets too high.

If you want something else to do while waiting: add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks blizzle. Appreciated.