Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alternatives to DE

1. Back To Top    #1

Alternatives to DE

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

Hi Richard320!

I've just taken over care of our pool after having a service--never had a pool before. I've read a lot of your posts and have gotten much excellent info from them--thanks!

Could you comment, time permitting, on substitutes for DE such as the product called FiberClear mentioned above? Is this what you switched to that you're happy with? Why did you switch and are you still happy with the change?

I'm trying to figure out if I have one of these alternative products in my filter as I think I may need to backwash soon and I need to purchase the correct product to coat the grids. When I happened to see the pool service doing the breakdown cleaning of my filter last fall, the guy was hosing off the grids in the grass (much as you mention above) and the gunk that was caked on them was slightly bluish white. It did not look like the dirt colored stuff on many of the pictures I've seen of filters before being cleaned.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    1999 23,000 gal IG plaster w/spillover 1,600 gal spa natural stone waterfall & decking, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP model WF-28, PB4 booster pump, Pentair FNS Plus Vertical Grid DE filter area 120 sq ft flow rate 96 rpm, Hayward pump for waterfall, Polaris 280, Aqualink RS8
    TF-100 + Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE filter, no backwashing required?

the-claims-may-be-correct-t28130.html

I'm still using it. Bluish tint might be from metals. I don't have that. And if the stuff is white still, maybe they clean too often.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I've also switched over to cellulose fiber. I've used three different brands so far, and they are all the same. Not much different from DE. It does seem to filter a bit finer, cost more, is biodegradable, and not as much of an inhalation hazard.

The white, blue tinged powder you saw the pool service washing off was probably DE tinged with a bit of copper algaecide. You can use DE and cellulose fiber interchangeably. I wouldn't mix the two, so you need to do a breakdown cleaning to switch.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Great info, thanks Richard320 & chiefwej!

I'm on good terms with the pool service I cancelled last week (got too expensive, and I would like to try BBB), so I'll ask them what they were using. After your explanation of higher cost of cellulose fiber, I'm betting it was DE since it's cheaper.
    1999 23,000 gal IG plaster w/spillover 1,600 gal spa natural stone waterfall & decking, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP model WF-28, PB4 booster pump, Pentair FNS Plus Vertical Grid DE filter area 120 sq ft flow rate 96 rpm, Hayward pump for waterfall, Polaris 280, Aqualink RS8
    TF-100 + Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Alternatives to DE

I have used the two interchangeable for the past two seasons or so. I am currently using DE as I found a bag in my garage. I think I can use a little less cellulose than DE per charge and I don't see a huge cost difference or performance/clarity difference. If there is, I don't care enough $$ wise and can't see enough performance wise.

When I keep the pool clear, both DE and cellulose last for several weeks and cost differential is less than $20 for a season, so what. The DE is harder to deal with when it's dirty. The cellulose is glorified saw dust and can be flushed to my wood chip side yard or lawn.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100