Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ammonia test

1. Back To Top    #1

ammonia test

I am going to do a ammonia test on my pool. Acouple of questions.. First can I just use the basic test that people use for aquariams? Secondly do I just forllow the diections as you would if you were testing tank water? Lastly, what kind of reading am I looking for? 0???
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter Pentair Pump VS
    Electric Heat Ft Wayne Indiana
    Built 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ammonia test

Why are you doing an ammonia test? I thought you were holding FC. if you have ammonia you won't hold any FC until it's all gone.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, you can use the ammonia test kit sold in pet shops/walmart, etc. Some pet stores will test the water for ammonia for free.

But, as Bama said, the pool would not hold FC if ammonia was present.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Why are you doing an ammonia test? I thought you were holding FC. if you have ammonia you won't hold any FC until it's all gone.
    Im getting ready to do SLAM. My pool is not holding chlorine and I have 2 ppm CC. My CYA dropped quite a bit from last year and I want to do the ammonia test to make sure the CYA didnt turn to ammonia over the winter. Sorry I posted my numbers in a seperate thread.
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

It would be better to keep all the info together so we would know the whole story. If you're not holding FC it may be a good idea to do the ammonia test.

If you'll let me know which thread the other info is in I'll try to merge them so we'll have the complete picture.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Does it really matter if it is ammonia or not? The solution is the same regardless ... add chlorine until it holds and follow the SLAM process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

ok good to know the solution would be the same!! FYI I did test for ammonia and didnt have any. Bad news, I retested CYA outside and got a 80. RRR Started SLAM last night, my threds are in "First Slam". Still trying to learn how to properly use the forum ( yes I did read pool rules)
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012