Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How can I use chlorine tablets I already bought?

1. Back To Top    #1

How can I use chlorine tablets I already bought?

I have a 12 x 30 summer escapes pool and it is good for this summer now that the wimpy pump died and I put on the Intex 1500 gph sand filter- next year I will go buy bigger pool.
    I had already purchased the 1" chlorine tablets, shock & swim, ph balancer, and algae control and I don't really want to throw away money. I used the pool calculator and found out how much liquid bleach I needed to get my chlorine level up to par, and am wondering how I can use the stuff sitting in my garage I already bought.
    The pool is about 1500 gal.
    Thanks for your advice in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How can I use chlorine tablets I already bought?

Welcome to TFP.

With that size pool I would just use the tablets until the CYA got out of hand and then dump it and start over.

You could probably use them until your CYA got close to 100 ppm. You'll have to keep an eye on the FC which will be a bit problematic with a regular OTO chlorine test but you can do it. The Pool Calc will help a lot once you lear to use the Effects of adding chems at the bottom.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

They keep well so you could use them until your CYA is where you want, then use bleach. Next year use them the same way, they'll still be good. They tend to drive PH down so you may have to adjust for that. BBB is more about knowing what you're doing to your pool then what you do it with.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

4. Back To Top    #4

Tablets are good to have for when you go out of town or something and aren't able to add bleach.

5. Back To Top    #5

How do I physically use them in the water? Do I need a dispenser?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have to use them you can use a floater.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.