pH always rising

May 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm at the point now where I have to add dry acid every week or so because of my climbing pH, even when there hasn't been a lot of swimming going on lately (not too much rain either).

Our TA has been pretty steady around 70. I just lowered pH from 7.7 to 7.5/7.6 the other day.

In the early season, when TA was about 100, our pH was stable, but then again, not much swimming going on at all then.

Is this a normal occurrence to have to lower pH in the mid-to-end of the season, weekly? I'm now wondering if my rising pH has anything to do with my low TA and wondering if I need to correct TA at some point in order for pH to remain more stable??

TA: 70
PH: 7.5/7.6
FC: 4

Most pools tend to rise, perfectly normal. Do you have a salt pool? Im guessing no, but your sig doesn't say. Do you have water features? Both will speed pH increase. TA 70 isn't bad either. I do encourage you to use Muriatic acid versus dry. Dry acid used long term can contribute more sulfates to your pool. We are all about adding things with the least amount of side effects possible.

Brushpup said:
Most pools tend to rise, perfectly normal. Do you have a salt pool? Im guessing no, but your sig doesn't say. Do you have water features? Both will speed pH increase. TA 70 isn't bad either. I do encourage you to use Muriatic acid versus dry. Dry acid used long term can contribute more sulfates to your pool. We are all about adding things with the least amount of side effects possible.

You're right. I didn't notice that I didn't put that I have a chlorine pool. No water features. I could understand why it was increasing when we were swimming a lot, but not sure why lately, when there hasn't been much aeration.

I'll just leave the TA alone and continue to add acid when necessary. Thanks for the reassurance :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.