Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Owner in Need of Help - High CYA!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner in Need of Help - High CYA!!!

So we had our pool installed in early July. I sure wish I would done more research prior to this. The pool installer put a Pentair Rainbow 320 inline chlorinator using 3 inch trichlor pucks. My CYA level was zero when we began to swim, so the pool store sold me some conditioner which raised it to 50. Well, I have been burning through pucks (6 pucks about every 4 or 5 days) and my chlorine level has been around 8 regardless of where I put the setting on the chlorinator. So I turned the chlorinator off (per their advice) for two days. I just had my water tested by the pool store this morning:

TC 4.0
    FC 4.0
    PH 7.2 (just added two pounds of PH up)
    Phosphates 200
    TA 140
    CYA 100 (I know, I know...now)

So, after reading a lot on here, the reason my CYA has gone up is (obviously adding the conditioner) and using trichlor tabs. I am done with those. Once the last little bit dissolves in the chlorinator, I am turning it off for good.

So here is my question and keeping this in mind (hopefully back washing and vacuuming to waste and general water displacement due to splash out will keep my CYA at 100 or reduce it slightly and we will be draining about half of the pool in the spring so the pool builder can fix a liner issue):

Using the bleach method: Is this best route? And if so, typically how much should I be adding on a daily basis/weekly basis?

If I strictly use household bleach for chlorine, is there anything else I should keep on hand (other than PH up or PH down)?
    18 X 36 (21,000 gallons?), IG Vinyl, Tagelus High Rate Sand Filter (Model TA 60/60D - 60 gpm), 1.5 HP Waterway 48 Frame Special Flow Rate Pump (Model SMF-115), Installed June/July 2013, Auto Polaris Cleaner with separate pump, Inline Chlorinator (NOT USING - Using the BBB Method), Waterfall, Stadium Seating Entry, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir (Wichita, Kansas)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: New Pool Owner in Need of Help - High CYA!!!

Keeping your CYA @ 100 will mean our guidelines for FC levels are 7-12 ppm....never below 7 ppm.

If your water management slips and you get an algae bloom, SLAM level for 100 CYA is 40 ppm.

So, if you manage FC CAREFULLY, you are good to go.

You will require nothing extra.....chlorine replacing the tabs is the only change you need to make.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I do have a problem in that my regular test kit (with the drops) only goes to 3 for the FC. I do have some strips that can get me by for a bit, as they go higher, but those just plain suck. I noticed your website in your signature.

Which test kit do you recommend: The Taylor Kit or the other one comparable (TF-100?)? How high of chlorine level can those kits test?

Also, is there some kind of chart that shows me (based on my CYA and size of pool) the amount of the liquid bleach that I need to add? Do I add it daily, every few days, or every week? I know that will be based on testing the chlorine, but trying to get a general idea so I know how much to buy.

When I slam my pool, should I use bleach to slam or use the granules that I already have?

Sorry for all of the questions!!
    18 X 36 (21,000 gallons?), IG Vinyl, Tagelus High Rate Sand Filter (Model TA 60/60D - 60 gpm), 1.5 HP Waterway 48 Frame Special Flow Rate Pump (Model SMF-115), Installed June/July 2013, Auto Polaris Cleaner with separate pump, Inline Chlorinator (NOT USING - Using the BBB Method), Waterfall, Stadium Seating Entry, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir (Wichita, Kansas)

4. Back To Top    #4

The TF-100 has more of the reagents you will need, and so is a better value. They both work equally well, though. They can measure up to at least 50 ppm of chlorine. For how much bleach to add, use The Pool Calculator. SLAM is a process, which you only need to go through if you know you have algae. Don't use any granules, because they will most likely raise your CYA.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

The granules I have are 68% Cal-Hypo. That won't raise CYA, right?

6. Back To Top    #6

To get to know your pool, you should test the chlorine and pH and add the necessary chemicals daily. The other tests in the kit you will be want to test weekly or monthly.

Some people add liquid chlorine daily, while others bump it up a little high and add every other day or so. A lot depends on the weather and use the pool gets.

I highly suggest getting the TF-100 as it contains more of the reagents that get used more often, see my signature for the link to the test kit. I highly recommend getting a speed stir if you can afford it, as it makes testing easier and faster. These are some of the best investments you can make for your pool.

The Cal-Hypo will raise the calcium level in the pool and will not raise the CYA.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Just ordered both from that website (TF-100 and magnetic stirrer). I will probably go ahead and use op the "shock" I currently have. After it runs out, I'll just use bleach to slam my pool. Now I just need to go buy the bleach in bulk somewhere, maybe Sam's club. I could have bought it for 99 cents a bottle here recently at a local grocery store.

Thanks everyone for all of the input!!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I will probably go ahead and use op the "shock" I currently have
    I would suggest not doing that if it contains CYA...you have too much already.

It keeps forever and you can use it next year when your CYA is down to a manageable level.
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

You don't list a current CH number. I would hold off on using the shock until you know where your current CH level is.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I will probably go ahead and use op the "shock" I currently have
    I would suggest not doing that if it contains CYA...you have too much already.

It keeps forever and you can use it next year when your CYA is down to a manageable level.
    The only "shock" I have is the Cal-Hypo (68%) variety. It doesn't contain any trichlor or dichlor, from what I can tell. Should I not even use that?

11. Back To Top    #11

Yeah, they didn't test that. Good point. So I'll just use bleach.

12. Back To Top    #12

If your "shock" is the CalHypo, you are OK to use it until you get your kit... IF your Calcium values are not too high. Vinyl is less sensitive to CH levels.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    If your "shock" is the CalHypo, you are OK to use it until you get your kit... IF your Calcium values are not too high. Vinyl is less sensitive to CH levels.
    When I had them check everything a week or so ago, the CH level was in the ideal range. Not sure now though.

14. Back To Top    #14

After shocking my pool, my FC finally dropped to 2.0 yesterday. I added exactly 3 96 oz. jugs of 6 percent bleach to raise it to 8 (per the pool calculator). I tested my water this morning and my FC was 8.0. How perfect is that!!!!!!!

On another note, the pool store previously tested my CYA as 100. I've tested it 3 times on 3 different days and get 60 each time (using my new kit you all recommended). Am I doing it wrong or is the pool store just that jacked up?

15. Back To Top    #15

1. Do not trust pool store testing ... especially for CYA. Do it yourself in the correct light, which is outside with back to sun and the tube at your waist.

2. Did you follow the SLAM process or just elevate the FC once? Is your water crystal clear and CC < 0.5ppm?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

No, my combined chlorine was 0 yesterday so I just added 3 jugs to get it up to 8 (based on my CYA, the pool calculator says I should be between 5 and 9).

My combined chlorine this morning was 0.5.

17. Back To Top    #17

I am not sure which question you answered with a "No".

You want to maintain the free chlorine (FC) above 5ppm, and the CC will hopefully remain at/below 0.5ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

I answered no the the question on whether I followed the SLAM process. My CC was 0, so I didn't see the need. I just added enough bleach to bring the FC up to 8.0.

My water has been crystal clear for weeks.

19. Back To Top    #19

Up until yesterday, I hadn't added any bleach yet because it took so long for my FC to come down after shocking with the last of my Cal Hypo.

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

Am I doing it wrong or is the pool store just that jacked up?
    Very common comment....we see it all the time. The pool store is just that jacked up. ALWAYS trust your own testing.
    Dave S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast