Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Handling Muratic Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Handling Muratic Acid

When it is necessary to use MA to clean parts to a SWG, or tile, are there any precautionary recommendations? Besides rubber gloves, a plastic bucket and don't stand downwind.. is there anything else? Should I be on grass or concrete?

Thanks.
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Handling Muratic Acid

Not concrete. MA will etch concrete quickly and permanently if you spill.

MA spilled in the grass may kill a bit of grass but quickly becomes inert so no real long term harm.

If you could get a large piece of scrap plywood to put down that might work best.

Old, old precaution....put the water in the bucket first, then the MA.

When I deal with it, I always like to have a VERY quick source of water to quickly dilute it if I get it on something that it will harm. like my dainty skin!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I suppose wearing some eye protection is reasonable.
    I've never used it on my SWG so not sure what the task entails but admittedly I've not used eye protection when I've needed to pour some of it into a bucket of water to pour into my pool. I hold my breath and am nervous just opening the cap. I think next time I'll just toss on some snorkel goggles while pouring it. I've seen what a small splashed drop does to cement-hate to imagine that in my eyes!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

You should definitely wear eye protection (i.e. glasses). The typical MSDS for it will say "even small amounts splashed into the eye can cause blindness".
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Good suggestions.. I just read where the plates in my SWG might need soaking in MA.. And I do have some slight (I'm guessing calcium) buildup in the grout at the waterline in the pool. I don't suppose I could be in the water while scrubbing the grout lines. THAT would be too easy.

Can I use a sponge with MA?

Last night I was catching up on a TV Show called "Breaking Bad." I saw where these guys disintegrated a motorcycle in a barrel of acid (and other things..) Which... was an eye opener for me. Like you Yippy, I hate just taking the lid off.
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net

6. Back To Top    #6

Damage to the eyes is the main threat to your person. On the skin, even at 32% strength, doesn't really burn unless it comes into contact with an open sore or something. I've gotten a drop or two on my skin many times. I'll just set the container down, walk over to a water source, and rinse it off.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you! Good to know!
    Helen

8. Back To Top    #8

I've gotten drops on my hands before and it started feeling hot but wasn't crazy pain like I expected. I just dunked my hand in the pool water. First time I used it, I got a few drops on my travertine and it sizzled like bacon! It really freaks me out to use it but I go in the grass and measure it into my cup with sunglasses on while I hold my breath. I hate handling acid!
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Not concrete. MA will etch concrete quickly and permanently if you spill.

MA spilled in the grass may kill a bit of grass but quickly becomes inert so no real long term harm.

If you could get a large piece of scrap plywood to put down that might work best.

Old, old precaution....put the water in the bucket first, then the MA.

When I deal with it, I always like to have a VERY quick source of water to quickly dilute it if I get it on something that it will harm. like my dainty skin!!
    x2
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

10. Back To Top    #10

I won't handle it without eye protection. Once you have an eye injury, you'll never do anything remotely risky without it. I scratched my cornea, not an accident with acid but something else (pulling weeds of all things). Ever since I'm religious about eye protection. It will put a scare on you right quick when you realize you almost lost vision.

But my point remains - protect your eyes.
    18x36 inground vinyl lined, Hayward sand filter and tablet chrolinator, approx 18k gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

Good lesson there spidey.. TU.
    Helen