Hi I have a 16X36' inground pool in CT. At one time it had a liner but the previous owners removed it and painted the concrete. it needs some repainting. I planned on draining it in the fall power washing it patching any weak spots and repainting the whole thing. (I am pretty handy so it should not be that difficult for me to do this.) I am looking for some advice.
1) What is involved with getting Gunite or porcelain sprayed or applied over what I currently have? Is this something I can do and what am I looking at for cost?
2) I have heard that the existing paint needs to be tested to determine what type was previously applied as this will affect what type needs to be applied after. I think I have a can of the previous paint possibly Olympic not sure what material but does anyone know where I can get this test done? also once I have determined what is currently on there how do I determine what to use?
3) any suggestions at to brands or types of paint to use?
4) Once pick out a paint and am ready to do this project I planned on power washing the pool etching it with muriatic acid, power washing again. finding any concrete that is weak, and patching it. then applying 2 coats. Any other suggestions or tips?
5) and finally I want to paint the pool a dark color as it will retain more heat and I do not have a heater. I was considering black. I have never seen a black pool before, not sure if it would look bad or is this a popular thing. my patio is a painted grey concrete (used behr deckover and it looks great highly recommend this for sprucing up a beat up concrete surface).
Thanks for your help!