Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: quick validation please

1. Back To Top    #1

quick validation please

We went on vacation for a week and guess what, we had a dirty pool when we got home. I think the issue is that we overheated the pool right before we left, pool temp was around 86 degrees. I noticed a little algae before I left, dumped some shock (power bag from sams club) in and went on vacation. FC was around 10, little high haven't gotten a perfect mix of run time / SWG % yet. Pool activity also messes with the % I think as well.

Measurements:
    FC 15
    CC .5 (possibly less, the color barely changed but went clear when we added one drop)
    PH 7.3 (started the summer at 7.2, I figured aeration would have brought it up higher but hasn't yet)
    TA 80
    CH 110
    CYA 60
    Salt 2800 (test) 3100 (from computer)

FC loss is around 2-3ppm but haven't done a good test since I've been home. Dusk to early morning I mean, I've tested during the day and early morning but not at dusk to early morning.

Right now, the water is just cloudy so I may have killed the algae but not sure.

My plan of attack, just want to confirm this sounds right:
    Get the FC using liquid bleach to 28 and maintain for the day. Check the next day for FC drop and continue shocking until that doesn't drop more than 1 ppm.
    Just getting started and learning a lot...

Pacific Pool Laremont 20' x 40' approximately 28,000 Gallons
    Installed our own liner from InTheSwim, 270 measurements or so.

Equipment: ( not sponsored by Jandy, we tried to avoid compatibility issues by buying from same vendor... stop laughing!)
    Jandy Pro Series VS FloPro 2HP Variable-Speed Pool Pump
    Jandy 1.5Hp for backup
    Jandy SFTM Top Mount 83GPM Sand Filter with ZeoBest Sand Alternative
    Jandy AquaPure 1400 Salt Water Chlorinator
    Jandy LXi250NN Heater
    Jandy iAquaLink control system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: quick validation please

That's not a bad plan, but it's not really following the SLAM pprocess. You should wait until the water is clear to perform the OCLT. Also don't for get to turn the swg off during the OCLT or the results will be invalid.

Having said that, you can perform an OCLT whenever you feel like it. So, if you want to do it tonight, it's perfectly fine, just don't lower the FC from shock level until the pool is clear.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteveg
    I think the issue is that we overheated the pool right before we left, pool temp was around 86 degrees.
    This probably has nothing to do with the algae/cloudy water. More likely, it has to do with the SWG %. On my recent vacation, water temps were between 86-90F and I came back to a crystal clear pool. I was careful to maintain the proper FC, though.

Was your CYA of 60 ppm measured before or after you added the powdered shock? The Sam's shock (like many powdered "shock" products) contains dichlor which will raise CYA noticeably.

Right now, the water is just cloudy so I may have killed the algae but not sure.
    Recommend running an Overnight FC Loss Test. Turn SWG off during this test.

My plan of attack, just want to confirm this sounds right:
    Get the FC using liquid bleach to 28 and maintain for the day. Check the next day for FC drop and continue shocking until that doesn't drop more than 1 ppm.
    Given a CYA of 60 ppm, the SLAM FC target is 24 ppm, per the Chlorine CYA Chart. However, I would test CYA again if you added the powdered shock after you performed the test results you posted above. I would test FC a few times a day during the SLAM process as testing once a day is not sufficient while SLAMming. Use liquid bleach for the chlorine source as you have planned.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have not slammed the pool yet, was going to this evening. I checked the free chlorine at lunch, it went up. Not sure how possible that is, I took two tests this morning both were 15 FC. At lunch, I got 15.5 and 16.5. I wonder if it's possible that the pool shock is still being stirred up? I put it in around 6pm and the pump ran for about 4 hours.

Right now the vacuum cleaner and pump/filter are running, Aquapure is at 0% since yesterday evening when I added shock. If I wait and perform the OCLT, if it doesn't drop should I still shock it? The pool water has a slight green tint to it. It's raining and cold but I would still expect the FC to drop not go up.

Equipment: ( not sponsored by Jandy, we tried to avoid compatibility issues by buying from same vendor... stop laughing!)
    Jandy 1.5Hp for backup
    Jandy LXi250NN Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Sometimes newbies don't carry the FC test to it's absolute endpoint. You continue to add drops of R-0871 reagent until the very last drop you add results in NO further color change...nada.

Subtract that drop from your count and the result is your FC.

That may account for your perceived increase in FC.

Do you have undissolved powdered chlorine on your pool floor? That's a no-no. brush it around until it's gone.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, the weather has been good for pool shocking! This morning it was 51 outside so the kids have not bugged me about swimming. I started shocking Monday at 6pm, first night OCLT dropped 2.5ppm and last night 1.5ppm, I'm hoping tonight it holds. Water is slowly getting clearer, the pump turned off last night on me so I lost some ground there but the pool vac and pump will run all day today.

Jandy 1.5Hp for backup
    Jandy LXi250NN Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, the weather has been good for pool shocking! This morning it was 51 outside so the kids have not bugged me about swimming. I started shocking Monday at 6pm, first night OCLT dropped 2.5ppm and last night 1.5ppm, I'm hoping tonight it holds. Water is slowly getting clearer, the pump turned off last night on me so I lost some ground there but the pool vac and pump will run all day today.
    I wouldn't even worry about the overnight loss until the hardest part of the SLAM is done - the water is clear.

That, ultimately, is the goal, is it not? Clear, sparkling water. Nobody is impressed with your CYA levels - they're impressed by sparkly water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Just to confirm, make sure when doing the OCLT that the swg is off.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.