Pentair Heat Pump making buzzing noise at electric panels

Sorry this is long but - yesterday we started to hear a buzzing sound in our house about every 5 or ten minutes. We checked everything. It kind of sounds like the noise the icemaker makes when the water is filling it, but louder. We finally isolated the noise to where the electric comes in to our house and had the power company come out - they said everything was fine and that if there were a problem the breakers would trip. It has been very hard to isolate the noise because it sounds like it is coming from two different directions. Then we realized that after 4:30 when the pool stuff shuts off so does the noise. The electric comes in one side of the house and the equipment pad is on the opposite wall of the house about 40 feet over which is probably why it sounds like it is coming from two directions. I think that the problem might be the heat pump. It is only the second summer with the pump (and the pool). Another clue was that the pool never got to the 87 degrees that we had the pump set at today so I don't think it is actually making hot water. Tomorrow morning when it comes back on at 9 will tell the tale I think because if the buzzing starts again then it has to be pool related.
Who do you call for a heat pump - I will call my pool builder but I know he is swamped still with pools damaged from hurricane sandy. (Ours was not) Does an air conditioning guy do heat pumps or does an electrician do heat pumps.
The heat pump was lit up and the fan was working. In other words it seemed normal. I just read somewhere that there should be cold air coming out of the top if it is working and I will check that in the morning. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Re: Pentair Heat Pump making buzzing noise at electric panel

Sounds like a buzzing relay or the compressor trying to start. Is the buzzing constant or does it come on for a little while and then stop for a while?

An HVAC person could probably troubleshoot it. It's about the same as a home heat pump it just has a water side.

I hate it, but that sounds like the compressor or fan trying to start.
How long is the warranty on that unit? If it's still under warranty, I wouldn't touch it until i contacted the mfg.
Is the fan running the while time?

It was a capacitor. Not sure if that is spelled right. Our pool builder sent a guy over who works on heat pumps and he fixed it right away. It was still under warranty so it didn't cost a thing. Great news. I won't go in the pool if it is cold and I was thinking my pool season was over.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.