Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which filter best for Salt Water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which filter best for Salt Water?

Just bought a new resin pool to install next year. Debating like crazy which pump/filter to get. The more research i do the more confused i get. I have decided to go salt water and the local pool store recommended sand if doing salt water but couldn't really articulate why. I am intrigued by cartridge because not sure i want to backwash every week (not sure where i would dump the water).

thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which filter best for Salt Water?

The type of filter is a matter of preference. I have a sand filter and am quite happy with it. Here is an article that summarizes the pros and cons of each type of filter: Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I don't think salt water really effects the filter in any noticeable way. With that being said everyone has their own opinions on what filter is "best" I personally prefer sand filters because all filters keep the pools clear and sand is by far the easiest to clean. The vast majority of the pools in my area are 300lb Hayward sand filters (s244t) and 1hp Hayward super pumps.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

You will lose water (and salt) when you backwash, and how often you have to backwash depends on your individual pool environment and the size of your filter. In theory, the larger the filter the longer you can go between cleanings. Read the comparison of pool filters for more information.

Personally I have a DE filter and while I love the clarity it gives, it is a lot of work to break down and clean. If you ever find your self with a bad algae bloom you will get very tired of cleaning it out during the SLAM process!

If you do decide to go with a cartridge filter install it with plumbing that will allow you to bypass the cartridge and vacuum to waste. This comes in handy if you ever need to drain the pool or if you have a bad algae bloom and don't want to gunk up the cartridge during the clean up.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Your decision to go with a swg in no way dictates which filter type you need. The filter type is strickly a personal preference.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

My pool has been open since the end of March, I backwashed right after opening and and haven't had to since. Though yesterday after vacuuming road dust off the bottom my pressure has gone up to 20, I backwash when I get to 21. So I've gone almost 5 months without backwashing, very low maintenance. With all the rain we've had I've had to pump to waste to get rid of several inches of water.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

7. Back To Top    #7

This is a timely question as the pool builder we've been talking to was strongly suggesting we not do sand with salt because of the backwashing and wasting the salt. Sand just seems simple to me, so I'm glad to read more pros and cons.
    1600 gal Arctic Wolverine Swim Spa, approx 8' x 14' with Niagara swim current

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Beg to argue here, but I believe Cartridge filters are best with SWG's, reason, you can go longer, if not whole season without backwashing, salt water pools are becoming a legislative issue. Sand filters require more backwashing and this means more salt water going into our local waters, there are several states and provinces that have specific rules about salt water pools now, its only going to get worse. Sad, but some people backwash after every time they vacuum.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by pooladdict
    Beg to argue here, but I believe Cartridge filters are best with SWG's, reason, you can go longer, if not whole season without backwashing
    In fact you can go forever without backwashing hehehe. You don't backwash a cartridge, you remove it and clean it (just in case anybody new was confused by the wording, I know pooladdict is aware of that). So there is almost no water loss compared to backwashing a sand filter. The loss is still fairly low as long as you only backwash when needed, but a cartridge will always be less lost pool water.

What is the best filter? The one that gets used properly
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

10. Back To Top    #10

If you install an appropriatly sized DE or sand filter ... you may only need to backwash once a year also. So the frequency of cleaning is not a valid reason ... that just depends on the sizing and the amount of debris for a given pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

In the Industry

If your pressure increases, due to bloom or whatever, you will in fact have to back wash a sand filter. That backwashed water will cause a problem in certain areas. Not to mention DE has been recognized as a carcinigen I believe. Cartridge filters are the way to go IMHO.

12. Back To Top    #12

Beg to argue here, but I believe Cartridge filters are best with SWG's, reason, you can go longer, if not whole season without backwashing, salt water pools are becoming a legislative issue. Sand filters require more backwashing and this means more salt water going into our local waters, there are several states and provinces that have specific rules about salt water pools now, its only going to get worse. Sad, but some people backwash after every time they vacuum.
    We could completely empty EVERY saltwater pool in the state of Wisconsin and never even come close to the amount of salt that gets spread over the roads of our state during the winter. (over 800,000 tons a year!) I'm not going to worry about a couple of 20 gallon, back yard backwashes a year, that's for sure...

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Not a matter of that, its a matter of what each state/province/city legislates.

Some states/provinces now are stopping using salt for that simple reason.

14. Back To Top    #14

If your pressure increases, due to bloom or whatever, you will in fact have to back wash a sand filter. That backwashed water will cause a problem in certain areas. Not to mention DE has been recognized as a carcinigen I believe. Cartridge filters are the way to go IMHO.
    Well, assuming the pool stays clear, then any of the filters (properly sized) will not need frequent cleaning.

Now, adding the algae bloom, certainly more frequent backwashing will be required for sand or DE. On the flip side, clearing a swamp with a cartridge is a HUGE pain in the xxxx due to having to open up the filter every couple hours to clean the cartridge.

DE when dry and inhaled can be a problem, but that is easily mitigated by using the cellulous products instead.

There are +/- with each filter type. What is "best" for one situation may not be for another. If backwash water drainage is the biggest concern, then certainly a cartridge would be the right choice.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Not a matter of that, its a matter of what each state/province/city legislates.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm not at all worried about it!

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

I haven't heard that before. Do you have some links? I would like to learn more of their reasoning.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok next question how do I determine what size filter/ pump will be best?

24 round, 52" high

18. Back To Top    #18

A 1 hp aboveground pump and a 250# sand filter or a 200 sqft cartridge.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I haven't heard that before. Do you have some links? I would like to learn more of their reasoning.
    Not true...believe it or not, it's a false rumor started by ecosmarte

There have been restrictions on some types of water softeners in California, because the salinity of the wastewater was affecting some really sensitive crops (almonds IIRC).
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    A 1 hp aboveground pump and a 250# sand filter or a 200 sqft cartridge.
    And consider a 2-speed version of the pump, since most of the time you can run on low and save electricity.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.