Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suggestions wanted - screening a pool from the street

1. Back To Top    #1

Suggestions wanted - screening a pool from the street

The most likely location for our pool will be closer to the house than the street, but I would love any suggestions on how to screen a pool (and the pool fence).

I'm thinking plants, shrubs, etc., but I would also like to think out of the box about this too. It will be on a hill, so that might help.

Thanks,
    Elsa
    1600 gal Arctic Wolverine Swim Spa, approx 8' x 14' with Niagara swim current

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suggestions wanted - screening a pool from the street

Hi, Elsa. I'm originally from B'more, now living on South Florida. Anyway, if you'd post a photo or two of the site, we'd be able to imagine with you, and also make suggestions. Thanks!
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh goodness, then everybody will see a true urban wilderness! I did take a couple of panoramic pictures - but tomorrow I'll take one from the street. Thanks for the quick reply!

Elsa

4. Back To Top    #4

cypress trees can be a great natural privacy fence particularly when buying the tallest ones you can afford and letting them take off. They come in a variety of shapes and widths (tall and narrow vs wide and fat) and don't lose their foliage.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Arborvitae get crazy tall, are and good for privacy. Loop loc also makes privacy screens but I think the trees would look better.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

6. Back To Top    #6

Another vote for Arborvitae - evergreen and clean. No leaves to worry about. Another plant with similar characteristics is Italian Cypress (grows taller but thinner).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

A thuja tree would grow fast and furious. Very much like a pine but with soft needle like ferns.

They grow quite fast and fill in nicely.

Pictures here

https://www.google.com/search?q=thuja+t ... 94&bih=632
    ProSeries Above Ground 20x4 Sand filter 1 hp

8. Back To Top    #8

I am not sure about your climate, but a few months ago I saw a very impressive privacy screen behind a pool made from a zig-zag arched line of sky pencil holly (spaced about 3-4 ft apart). The trees were probably 10 years old (guess as the house was built in the mid 1990's, and pool was added later), the trees stood about 20-25 feet tall and provided a wispy bush cover from the ground level up.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Those are all interesting choices. My only concern about Leyland Cypress is I've heard they can blow over in the wind. Not that we get too many strong winds in Baltimore, but we've had our fair share of trees get knocked down in hurricanes.

I'll have to check tomorrow for more on Arborvitae and Thuja - which I think are the same. It looks like they are deer resistant, which is good, and it looks like the Green Giant variety might be wind resistant too.

I haven't heard of that type of holly, I'll definitely have to look that up and see if it can grow here.

Thanks for the great suggestions so far! I'll post a picture or two tomorrow.

Elsa

10. Back To Top    #10

OK, I'm going to try to attach these pictures. It's hard to show context, but the pool would be about 80 feet from the street, with the outdoor fireplace (which, like everything else, needs work!) being on at the end of the patio.

Between the deer, the heat, and the weird rain we've been having this summer - don't judge us on our unusual landscaping techniques Also, you can see we are going to make a tree company very happy.

I'll try to finish up a basic graph paper outline we're doing, because the pictures might be too confusing.

Thanks for all the help so far!!
    Elsa
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Do Photinia grow where you are at? It may be too cold there.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

The Baltimore county extension agent or service should be a great resource for all growing things in your specific area. Give them a call.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

13. Back To Top    #13

I hadn't heard of Photinia before - but it grows in USDA zones 7-9. We're in zone 7B, so it looks like a great possibility!

YippeeSkippy - that's a great idea. I was looking at the native shrubs from the UMD extension service, but talking to them is a great idea.

14. Back To Top    #14

Photinia grows fast here and can be hedged for a more formal look. I would expect them to grow to a five foot tall bush within a year or so. Even if they are iffy in your area, they may fill in while you grow something else that grows slower, but lasts longer.

Here are some other ideas.

http://www.sunset.com/garden/landscapin ... 000022053/
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100