Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone ever use a Preval Sprayer

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone ever use a Preval Sprayer

I want to apply a gelcoat to my fiberglass slide and found some good review of this product. Curious if anyone has used this device to apply a fiberglass gelcoat to refinish a slide.

http://www.preval.com/what-is-preval

18 X 36, 29 K gallon, Sand Filter, Inground Vinyl Lined, 3/4 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Anyone ever use a Preval Sprayer

I've used them for auto touch-up, and they worked well. It's on the order of a rattle can that you can fill yourself. It seems like gel coat is pretty thick for use in that. But, then I've never sprayed on gel coat.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

So, should gel coat be brushed on instead?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

It's been a long time since I did any Fiberglas work, and it was on a boat, not a pool slide. You better wait for someone else to answer this one.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have used those over the years. Like Chief, mostly for auto applications. IMO these would be too anemic for gelcoat application. Besides these sprayers have been sporadic performers....sometimes work well and other times nada.
    Anthony Pool, 35k gal plaster, DE (1.5hp Ultraflow), Rainbow 320, Dolphin Diagnostic 2001 (Advantage) & Polaris, Retrofitted Anthony mod #20 120v Niche light with Pentair 5G & adapter ring, 70's build / recoped and plastered 1.5 years ago

6. Back To Top    #6

After looking at my slide really closely I may be able to get away with using 3M Fiberglass Restorer and Wax. May not need to redo the gel coat after all. This stuff looks like it does a great job restoring shine to fiberglass boats.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

A power buffer would probably help remove oxidation and polish the surface.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks chief...I think that's the route I will take and see if I get the results I want.

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey guys! I know I'm late to this but in case someone stumbles upon this through a search, gelcoat may be thinned for use in a Portable Preval Sprayer with styrene monomer. The Sprayer is an amazing spray system however acetone is NOT recommended except in clean-up. Do not use more than 15% by volume of thinner, and always add thinner, tint, OPR metal flake first then add the Catalyst or Hardener and mix thoroughly. Over thinning will result in an inadequate thickness for full curing.

We have a more detailed section in our FAQs on our website, if you'd like more info! Or feel free to ask questions here.