Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: [PIC] CuLator after 1 month in pump basket...

1. Back To Top    #1

[PIC] CuLator after 1 month in pump basket...

CuLator 4.0ppm Ultra PowerPak, Gator-Egg after 1 month in pump basket:

1. It smelled nasty...like the rotting shores of Lake Erie
    2. Upon cutting it open, the innards had turned to a clear, gloopy gel.

Did it do anything? heck if I know...I did test water for metals using Taylor test kit and they were at zero but water has been getting a dose of sequestering agent every week since Ascorbic Acid stain removal on July 4th. No stains right now...

Pump runs 4hrs on high, 20 hours on low each day so water always moving through pump/basket/CuLator.
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: [PIC] CuLator after 1 month in pump basket...

Quote Originally Posted by budgetplan1
    I did test water for metals using Taylor test kit and they were at zero...
    Did you test for metals before trying the CuLator? A before & after test result would confirm if any metals were removed. Sequestrants do not remove metals from the water, they keep them in suspension and prevent them from depositing as stains. Since the metals are currently testing at 0 ppm, you can try cutting back on or eliminating sequestrant doses and see if any metal stains form. However, if you top off your pool with source water that is known to contain metals, you will need to test periodically and/or keep using the CuLator if you have evidence that it is working.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm half tempted to shock the life outta the pool just to see if stains result. I realize the sequestering agent is what is keeping the metal dissolved in the water; I just couldn't remember if it also 'sequesters' it from a metal test.
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

The metals should still show up in the metal test even with a sequestrant, although you may need to wait longer in the test to see them appear.

Would not shock the pool just to see if any metals precipitate. Shocking (a.k.a., SLAMming) should only be performed if there is clear evidence determining the need to do so as outlined in the SLAM article.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.