Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rola-Chem Tank Mounted System

1. Back To Top    #1

Rola-Chem Tank Mounted System

Wanting to switch to an automated chlorine feed system.

How does this Rola-Chem 543725 Pro Series Pump 12 GPD 15 Gallon Poly Tank Mounted System Tank look?

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Rola-...ank/543725.htm

Looking at page 7 here: http://www.rola-chem.com/manuals/522...UMP-MANUAL.pdf - 12 gallons per day seems like the correct size.

I'm assuming I just hook it up to the timer wiring, set the correct flow rate, then plumb into the return line - and done right?

Thanks in advance,
    Jamie
    Midwest / Started BBB opening of 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rola-Chem Tank Mounted System

Looks interesting, but I suspect you will also need an external timer to improve control precision separate from you pump control timer as it looks like the onboard cycle length timer (X minutes out of every 10 or so) only has 7 steps ranging from .1 GPD to 12 GPD which seems way too course of steps to me.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

You can use the search function to find some nice threads on peristaltic pumps on this forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Looks interesting, but I suspect you will also need an external timer to improve control precision separate from you pump control timer as it looks like the onboard cycle length timer (X minutes out of every 10 or so) only has 7 steps ranging from .1 GPD to 12 GPD which seems way too course of steps to me.
    Since that .1 - 12gpd range is for a full 24 hours, if I only run my pump for 8 hours (I've been following the one hour per every 10 degrees rule) then that would change the values from .03 - 4gpd. I'd probably vary from the #2 setting of 1.2gpd (.4 gallons over eight hours) to the #3 setting of 3.6gpd (1.2 gallons over eight hours) depending on the temperature, pool usage, solar cover on/off, cya levels, etc.

Thanks,
    Jamie

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    You can use the search function to find some nice threads on peristaltic pumps on this forum.
    Yep, been following the other threads, but was unable to find anything with this particular setup and unfortunately can't find any reviews on it either. It seems convenient to have the pump mounted to the container and I'm assuming it comes with needed connections. Just trying to find some faults with it before I buy.

Thanks.
    Jamie

6. Back To Top    #6

My point is even with reduced 8 hour run time there is a big difference between .4 gallons of chlorine and 1.2 gallons per day, if we split the difference and say your pool uses .75 gallons per day normally, you are either going to be considerably under or over dosing each day and constantly turning the pump up or down, a better solution might be to have a second timer that runs the injection pump only for the first 5 to 6 hours of the filter cycle to achieve the .75 (or whatever it is in the real world) gallon total at the setting 3 rate. I find with my chlorine injection pump once I get into the middle of the swim season and the water is at a stable warm temperature I can get the injection pump timing tuned into the point where I only have to tweak it every 2 or 3 weeks, either through manual chlorine additions after big swim parties, or slight adjustment to the injection pump if FC is trending up or down..
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    My point is even with reduced 8 hour run time there is a big difference between .4 gallons of chlorine and 1.2 gallons per day,
    if we split the difference and say your pool uses .75 gallons per day normally, you are either going to be considerably under or over dosing each day and constantly turning the pump up or down, a better solution might be to have a second timer that runs the injection pump only
    Ah, great point. And to your point, my chlorine demand might be totally separate than my need to cycle the water. What kind of timer did you end up using and how did you wire it into your existing system? Do you know if these pumps can be left outside in the elements? Does the CYA level become less important with a constant delivery system like this?

Thanks,
    Jamie

8. Back To Top    #8

I am using an LMI diaphragm injection pump which has variable stroke length and digital adjustable injection frequency (ranging from I think 20 storkes per hour up to 1 per second), not a peristaltic pump so I have no need of an external timer on mine. The big downside to using a diaphragm pump is that over time the chlorine attacks the diaphragm which must be replaced at a cost of about $40-$50, failure to change the diaphragm can lead to chlorine getting into the workings of the pump ruining it. On average I find I must replace the diaphragm every 12-18 months when using 6% bleach, now that I have switched to 8.25% like just about everyone else, I am hopeful to get 12 months. Diaphragm pumps also have foot, inlet, outlet and injection valves that must be cleaned and rebuilt from time to time (about every 2 years).

Ike

p.s. specifically mine is an LMI A941-155S

9. Back To Top    #9

I looked at the rolochem - but bought this 15 gal combo unit instead. Better price and very easy to use...hooked up a $15 outdoor digital timer.

http://www.stenner.com/prod-tanksys.htm
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

10. Back To Top    #10

Rola-Chem dosing pumps are fine. However, I recommend Stenner. They costs a little more and have a better track record for reliability, so it depends on how big an issue that costs a little more part is for you.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Rola-Chem dosing pumps are fine. However, I recommend Stenner. They costs a little more and have a better track record for reliability, so it depends on how big an issue that costs a little more part is for you.
    I actually paid less for my stenner/tank combo...maybe I got a crazy deal, but check it out for sure.

http://www.lockewell.com/index.php?m...ndex&cPath=1_6
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover